The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Notice of Amendment Follow-Up

Guest Angel

A Notice of Amendment was sent to the membership to be followed by vote 30 days later. On day of vote a motion was made and passed to table Notice and vote, and form committee to review Bylaws again.  The president, in error, allowed this motion to be made and voted on when the president is the one who appoints committees . What, if anything, should/can be done and cited to correct this? Is the Club obligated to vote on this committee's report even though it was improperly formed?

49 minutes ago, Guest Angel said:

A Notice of Amendment was sent to the membership to be followed by vote 30 days later. On day of vote a motion was made and passed to table Notice and vote, and form committee to review Bylaws again.  The president, in error, allowed this motion to be made and voted on when the president is the one who appoints committees . What, if anything, should/can be done and cited to correct this? Is the Club obligated to vote on this committee's report even though it was improperly formed?

I'm afraid it is not at all clear, based upon the few facts that have been posted, that this referral to a committee was improperly done.  Additional facts as to what exactly happened at this meeting would be helpful.

You didn't attach any file to your post above, so we cannot see the notice of amendment.

It does not matter, in any case, because a notice does not automatically compel the motion to be made or voted upon at the next meeting. Notice provides the opportunity for that to occur, and creates the expectation, but does not create an obligation. It's similar to getting engaged to be married.

The Notice of Amendment dated October 22nd is in the General Discussion of this forum. My apologies for not making that clear. However, again my question is in regard to the obligation or not to vote on the committee's report despite the committee not being properly formed. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Guest Angel said:

The Notice of Amendment dated October 22nd is in the General Discussion of this forum. My apologies for not making that clear. However, again my question is in regard to the obligation or not to vote on the committee's report despite the committee not being properly formed. Thanks.

Guest Angel, please post the notice of amendment in this thread so that we do not have to search the forum for other threads to find it.  We try to keep discussions about one topic together in the same thread.

24 minutes ago, Guest Angel said:

I agree with Mr. Honemann and also do not see any indication that the committee was not properly formed.

You state that "the president is the one who appoints committees" but usually such a provision in the bylaws just refers to the authority to name the members of the committee, not to create a committee. Did the motion name the members of the committee? If it did and if the president was present and did not object to the motion, then it's fine because the president's authority to name committee members is in the nature of a rule of order and can be suspended.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.