The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Multiple executive committee positions held by one person

Guest Dean

We are an incorporated association in the sport of archery. A club.

We have seven positions available on the committee.

president, Vice President, secretary, treasurer, tournament director, coaching coordinator and public relations officer.

at our last agm, yesterday one person was elected to four of these positions including.

president, treasurer, coaching coordinator and public relations.

this came about through self nominating for both the president and treasurer and with no interest from the membership base during the meeting he self nominated at the agm for the additional two exec positions.

now, we have seven voting positions and one person has four positions but one vote.

my concern is that because of these circumstances three voting positions have been negated by one person holding four positions.

is this just the way it is?

there is nothing currently in our bylaws to state one person should not hold multiple voting positions, unfortunately.

thanks for your reply in advance.

1 hour ago, Guest Dean said:

We are an incorporated association in the sport of archery. A club.

We have seven positions available on the committee.

president, Vice President, secretary, treasurer, tournament director, coaching coordinator and public relations officer.

at our last agm, yesterday one person was elected to four of these positions including.

president, treasurer, coaching coordinator and public relations.

this came about through self nominating for both the president and treasurer and with no interest from the membership base during the meeting he self nominated at the agm for the additional two exec positions.

now, we have seven voting positions and one person has four positions but one vote.

my concern is that because of these circumstances three voting positions have been negated by one person holding four positions.

there is nothing currently in our bylaws to state one person should not hold multiple voting positions, unfortunately.

No rule in RONR prevents one person from holding multiple positions. So yes, unless the bylaws are amended, this is just the way it is.

5 hours ago, Guest Dean said:

I'm not sure what your are saying here.

Agreeing with Mr. Martin, someone may hold multiple positions unless the bylaws say otherwise.  Note, however, that the person would only get one vote, not for.  I am not sure if that is what you are asking. 

I would check your bylaws carefully to see how the quorum for this committee is defined. If it is described as a percentage of the membership (such as the default quorum in RONR, which is a majority of the membership), then one person holding multiple positions will not cause a problem. However, if it is defined as a set number of members, then one person holding as many as four positions out of seven may be a real problem for achieving quorum. As with voting, each person counts as one person only, regardless of how many positions he or she occupies, for determining quorum.

Guest Rainbow76

I am on the Executive Committee of a local sporting association, and we have rules regarding this in our Constitution for this exact reason. Our rules state that a person can only hold one position on the Executive Committee. Nominees for each position  must be seconded by another person (any adult member of the association) to avoid people self-nominating with no support. In your situation, if there is nothing in the rules about it, then unfortunately there's nothing that can be done this year and the person will hold four positions (but only allowed one vote unless your rules state otherwise). Maybe moving forward your committee needs to look at re-writing the rules / by-laws. 

10 hours ago, Guest Rainbow76 said:

Maybe moving forward your committee needs to look at re-writing the rules / by-laws. 

Or at least have the good sense not to elect one person to so many positions. 

Yes, I know the likely argument: "No one else was interested in serving." But if that's the case, it may be time to consider abolishing some of the positions and reassigning the duties. Or even to consider dissolving the organization for lack of interest.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.