The Official RONR Q & A Forums

New Method of Quoting RONR

Transpower

I just received my copy of the new 12th edition of RONR.  I see that this version is using section and paragraph numbers, rather than pages and lines.  The list of abbreviations does not include "ll." (lines x to y).  So:  what if we want to quote just a line or two from a particular section and paragraph?  Can we still use "ll." within a section and paragraph, or is that now considered unnecessary or wrong?

No.  With the new "liquid publishing" format of the book, paganation and flowing of lines will vary from device to device, depending on the size of the screen.  This means that there are no inherent line numbers, and the "l" and "ll" abbreviations are meaningless.

Edited by Rob Elsman

10 minutes ago, Transpower said:

Can we still use "ll." within a section and paragraph, or is that now considered unnecessary or wrong?

Mr. Elsman beat me to the punch. But I will add that in most other contexts, it has never been standard too cite line numbers for the simple reason that most publications don't include them. It shouldn't be too difficult for someone who wants to check the accuracy of a quotation to find the text within the cited section and paragraph.

Agreeing with Mr. Elsman  and Mr. Merritt, you can always quote the passage you want to emphasize.  With the CD-ROM version, a "copy and paste"  is easy to do, but, unfortunately, the new CD-ROM version has not yet been released.  An alternative is to purchase the Kindle version and copy from it.  You can also say "about halfway down the section" or "the third sentence" or "second paragraph", etc.   

I do miss the ability to refer to line numbers, but it is what it is.  If i feel a particular sentence or part of a sentence is important, I will often quote it verbatim.  Once the CD-ROM version is released, I will likely wind up doing a lot of copying and pasting.

2 hours ago, Transpower said:

Thanks for the responses.  OK, I'll just give the section and paragraph numbers and presume that anyone can find the quoted line or lines therein.

Well, give a look at the full specs for citations, including numbered subparagraphs and footnotes as well.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.