The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Very confused on quiz question from 2019 Parliamentary Calendar

Caryn Ann Harlos

Since one has not come out for 2021 :( I have been quizzing with the 2019 calendar understanding that the references are to the prior edition.  This question has me completely puzzled (there are four potential answers - two are obviously wrong so not including here - the correct answer is listed as A but my question is, why is B wrong?)

A main motion is laid on the table and not taken from the table at the same session.  The main motion:

A.  cannot be renewed at the next session if the organization has no more than a quarterly time interval until the next regular session.

B. cannot be renewed at the next session the motion to Take from the Table must be used.

Those both seem right to me, but the key says only A is right. Why is B wrong?

I thought that given the question saying "not taken from the table in the same session" (not meeting) it would mean that you were already in the next session. And so the motion cannot be taken from the table anymore (it has already fallen to the ground)

But now I am wondering myself if I was correct.

26 minutes ago, Guest Puzzling said:

I thought that given the question saying "not taken from the table in the same session" (not meeting) it would mean that you were already in the next session. And so the motion cannot be taken from the table anymore (it has already fallen to the ground)

But now I am wondering myself if I was correct.

That's okay.

What I should have said is that the problem with B is that it does not specify that the next session will not be held within a quarterly time interval.  🙂

3 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

That's okay.

What I should have said is that the problem with B is that it does not specify that the next session will not be held within a quarterly time interval.  🙂

I think it is implied that a Motion to Take from the Table is an available option strongly implies it is within the quarter.

35 minutes ago, Caryn Ann Harlos said:

I think it is implied that a Motion to Take from the Table is an available option strongly implies it is within the quarter.

A is clearly correct.

B may or may not be correct, depending on an unstated fact. 

You do see that, right?  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.