The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voted in error

COMMISH13

You voted for the motion that was stated by the presiding officer, not what some other person in the audience said. Had you realized your mistake during that meeting you could have requested permission from the assembly to go on record as having opposed it, a request the assembly could have granted or not as they would have seen fit.

I suppose you could still request such a privilege at the next meeting, however, the best way to express such an opposition is to move a motion to Rescind the motion that was adopted. Your name as the mover of the motion should be recorded in the minutes which I suspect is what you want, regardless of the final outcome of the vote.

1 hour ago, Guest Zev said:

You voted for the motion that was stated by the presiding officer, not what some other person in the audience said.

Well, I don’t think we know that for a fact although it is quite likely what happened. Regardless, the best course of action is the same: at the next meeting move to rescind the motion.

Commish13, you can instead ask that the minutes reflect that you voted incorrectly at the earlier meeting, but I think the better course of action is to move to rescind the motion. As the maker of the motion to rescind you have the right to speak first and can explain that your vote was in error and why you think the previously adopted motion should be rescinded.

if you want to be able to speak to your motion to rescind, you need to make sure there is someone who will second the motion for you.

Edited by Richard Brown

3 hours ago, J. J. said:

I would add that you could raise a question of personal privilege and request that you be permitted to include a statement in the current minutes that you voted in error.  It would not change your vote and would require the permission of the majority.  See 19:3 and 19:7.

I agree, and that is essentially what I was referring to in the first sentence of the second paragraph of my post immediately above: “Commish13, you can instead ask that the minutes reflect that you voted incorrectly at the earlier meeting, but I think the better course of action is to move to rescind the motion”

Edited by Richard Brown
Added a quote from my previous post

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.