The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee Names it Own Members

Guest LIH

We have an explicit provision that prevents the nominating committee from naming one of their own. Instead members may run by petition (though they’d be running against the nom comm’s nominee). 

Our nom comm also names replacements for vacant board seats, with no ratification required, to serve until the next election. There’s no restriction on whom they may name, other than member in good standing. 

Does it seem proper for nom comm to appoint one of their own members?

What is exactly in your bylaws on the nominating committee? (quote do not paraphrase) 

It is a bit strange that the nominating committee cannot nominate one of their own, (it is putting a cost on being member of this committee and what if the member is the best candidate, does the committee nominate a worse / fake or no candidate)

I would imagine that the ban would even more apply to the replacements given that there is no voting involved. 

But it all depends on what is exactly in your bylaws, 

1 hour ago, Guest LIH said:

Does it seem proper for nom comm to appoint one of their own members?

It depends on the exact wording of the nominating committee provision in your bylaws. Ultimately, it is going to be a matter of bylaws interpretation. Only your organization can interpret its own bylaws.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last two sentences

“The nominating Committee shall nominate one or more candidates for each position to be filled by election at the next Annual Meeting. This includes [various offices] ....

1. No member of the Nominating Committee may be nominated by the Nominating Committee for any of the positions for which it is selecting nominees. Members of the Nominating Committee may be nominated by petition (see paragraph 4 of this Section) for any position.”

As far as vacancies:

“E. If any member of the Board (excluding the immediate past President) shall die, resign, or otherwise be unable to serve, the Nominating Committee shall appoint a person to fill the vacancy so created.”

I would note that well the  Nominating Committee cannot nominate one of its own a members of the  Nominating Committee can be nominated by petition.

So they can run for office but when it comes to filling a vacancy only the  Nominating Committee can do it and because the bylaws do not say that the  Nominating Committee cannot appoint one of its own to fill the vacancy I think it can.

1 hour ago, Guest LIH said:

1. No member of the Nominating Committee may be nominated by the Nominating Committee for any of the positions for which it is selecting nominees. Members of the Nominating Committee may be nominated by petition (see paragraph 4 of this Section) for any position.”

As far as vacancies:

“E. If any member of the Board (excluding the immediate past President) shall die, resign, or otherwise be unable to serve, the Nominating Committee shall appoint a person to fill the vacancy so created.”

This may be a close call and is ultimately a question of bylaws interpretation, but my own interpretation of the quoted provisions (parts of which I highlighted) is that they do not prohibit members of the nominating  committee from being appointed by the committee to fill vacancies.  I  stress, however, that this is ultimately a question of bylaws interpretation as this is a provision in the organizations bylaws and not RONR.  RONR permits members of the nominating committee to be nominated by the committee.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.