The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amendment violating the spirit of the underlying motion

ParliamentaryBuff

I've found it a common practice, specifically at conventions, to rule out of order amendments which "alter the motion so much that it is in effect no longer the same motion". Sometimes this could be just a few words.

1) I haven't found any basis for this in RONR; does it contain any such prohibition?

2) If not, what's the procedure to address this since the point of order has already been ruled on? Can a member other than the one who raised the point make the appeal?

2 minutes ago, ParliamentaryBuff said:

I've found it a common practice, specifically at conventions, to rule out of order amendments which "alter the motion so much that it is in effect no longer the same motion". Sometimes this could be just a few words.

1) I haven't found any basis for this in RONR; does it contain any such prohibition?

2) If not, what's the procedure to address this since the point of order has already been ruled on? Can a member other than the one who raised the point make the appeal?

To answer question No 1, no, RONR does not contain any such prohibition.  A motion may be amended to an extent that it is in essence no longer the same motion.  There are some limits, however.  For example, the general subject matter of the motion must remain the same, but the purpose of it can be changed substantially, even to the point of contradicting the original motion.  For example, a motion of censure can be amend to actually commend the person who was going to be censured by the original motion and vice versa.

As to question 2, I'm not sure what you are getting at since the amendments you are referring to might well be in order. But, any member may raise a point of order that he believes the rules are being violated and that a particular motion or amendment is out of order.  Any member (as long as someone seconds the appeal) may appeal from the ruling of the chair.  It does not have to be the member who raised the point of order.  However, such a point of order and appeal must be timely, which means if the meeting is over, it is too late for such a point of order or appeal now.

9 minutes ago, ParliamentaryBuff said:

I meant if the chair improperly ruled an amendment out of order on this basis, what would be the recourse, but it seems you answered that any member could then appeal the ruling

Yes, any member may appeal from the decision of the chair. It does require a second and would be debatable.  A majority or a tie vote sustains the decision of the chair. See §24

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.