The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is there digital version of RONR that provides page numbers of hardcopy version?

jggorman

I want to get a digital/ebook version of RONR (12th) that provides page numbers of hardcopy version. I want to be able to search and find something and then know what page the same section is in the hardcopy/print version of the book. This would be helpful in communicating a page numbers among people who vary between digital and hardcopy versions. However, past experience has shown me that ebooks generally don't have page numbers that are the same as hardcopies. Has anyone found a solution or specific source for the 12the edition that solves this issue specifically with page numbers?

A Kindle version of RONR is available from Amazon. Although I have it, I do not use it often and I do not recall if the page numbers are identical. However, the method of citing to RONR has changed with the 12th edition. We no longer cite to it by page and line numbers, but rather by section numbers. The section numbers are identical in both the Kindle version and the hardcopy version.

I understand that the Roberts Rules Association plans or hopes to introduce a CD ROM version like they had for the 11th edition, but that has not come out yet.  I do not know the status of it and I don’t know if the page numbers will be the same. The page numbers were the same in the CD ROM of the 11th edition. 

i’m sure someone will check soon and let you know if the Kindle pagination is the same as the hardcopy.

Unlike my colleague, I not only have but regularly use the kindle version, and I love it. Searching is exceedingly easy. As with all e-books, the pagination varies depending on the device used and viewing options selected. So the page numbers have gone away. It was because of the desire to have it published as an e-book that the authorship team changed the referencing system.

Regarding the cd version, I have heard conflicting reports. But personally, at this point I am happy with the e-book version and wouldn't purchase it. 

12 minutes ago, jggorman said:

Mr. Brown, your response was very helpful because my request was mostly based on the guidance I read in RONR 11th on citing. So I will get the 12th digitally and may decide to hold off on an extra print copy. Thanks so much!

FWIW, the Kindle version is seven dollars more expensive than the paperback version on Amazon.  The paperback version is $17.99 and the e-textbook version is $24.99 (as of just now).  I bought a pre-release hard copy from NAP because it is more durable than the paperback version and stays open pretty well, though not as well as the spiral bound version that you can get from NAP.

Edited to add:  Amazon does not sell a spiral bound version, but NAP (the National Association of Parliamentarians) does.  You can also take a regular paperback version to a place like Kinko's, Office Depot or a FedEx print shop or any good print shop and have it hole-punched and spiral bound.  I did that with my paperback 11th edition that was falling apart, with pages falling out.  It salvaged the book (which had extensive notes and highlighting in it) quite well.  And it stays open to the page I want. :)

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

The Kindle version of RONR-12th ed. Does not have page numbers.  

However the method of citing RONR has changed in the 12th ed. and does not use page numbers, using section and paragraph numbers instead.

Additionally, the Index no longer uses page numbers, also listing the section and paragraph for each entry.

If you had considered getting the kindle version, there is no reason to hold off.

On 2/4/2021 at 3:37 AM, Gary Novosielski said:

The Kindle version of RONR-12th ed. Does not have page numbers. 

No, the kindle edition does have page numbers, sadly I do not think they are the same as the hardcopy version. (Just tap in the lower left corner) 

The kindle page number of the first page of chapter V "the main motion" is 148, can someone check the hardcopy version?

On 2/10/2021 at 6:13 AM, Guest Puzzling said:

No, the kindle edition does have page numbers, sadly I do not think they are the same as the hardcopy version. (Just tap in the lower left corner) 

The kindle page number of the first page of chapter V "the main motion" is 148, can someone check the hardcopy version?

Hmm, you're right.  I had learned long ago not to trust these page numbers, as they seemed to vary with the font size, but they seem more durable now.

In any case I doubt they match the printed book, unless the preface begins on page 24.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.