The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Question on a Community Board Committee motion that was 4 yes 4 no and 2 abstentions

Guest Jeffrey Sanoff

The motion did not pass at the committee, that is correct.

Whether it can be brought before the "whole community board" depends on the board's rules that dictate how motions can be brought before the whole community board. If motions must be brought from a committee, then that requirement has not been met.

Edited by Atul Kapur

21 minutes ago, Guest Puzzling said:

2/3 vote:

At least twice the number for yes than for no, (6y-4n

Um, vote of 6 yes, 4 no is not a two thirds vote. 

21 minutes ago, Guest Puzzling said:

Majority of membership:

5y (no need to count no or abstentions) 

2/3 of membership :

6y

The preferred term in RONR is “majority (or two-thirds) of the ENTIRE MEMBERSHIP”, not “of the membership). That is to avoid confusion as the term “of the membership“ can be used to refer to a vote of the membership as opposed to a vote of, say, the board. Also, RONR does not use the fraction “2/3”, but rather uses the term “two-thirds”. 

I again urge you to read and study very carefully section 44 of RONR and especially 44:3 - 44:10. Pay particular attention to the word usage and the order in which words are used, such as “a two-thirds vote of” and “a vote of two-thirds of”. They do not mean the same thing. It is a subtle but very important difference in wording

12 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

Um, vote of 6 yes, 4 no is not a two thirds vote. 

The preferred term in RONR is “majority (or two-thirds) of the ENTIRE MEMBERSHIP”, not “of the membership). That is to avoid confusion as the term “of the membership“ can be used to refer to a vote of the membership as opposed to a vote of, say, the board. Also, RONR does not use the fraction “2/3”, but rather uses the term “two-thirds”. 

I again urge you to read and study very carefully section 44 of RONR and especially 44:3 - 44:10. Pay particular attention to the word usage and the order in which words are used, such as “a two-thirds vote of” and “a vote of two-thirds of”. They do not mean the same thing. It is a subtle but very important difference in wording

I don't see where this quoted material came from.

It does not appear to be part of this thread.  Bug, perhaps?  I have a vague impression that I've seen something like it before.

17 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

I don't see where this quoted material came from.

It does not appear to be part of this thread.  Bug, perhaps?  I have a vague impression that I've seen something like it before.

6 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

Hmmm, Somethings seems to have gone screwy. Dan Honemann weighed in on that thread, too.

Ahhh,  I think I know what happened. Guest puzzling made a comment which had some incorrect information in it. Both Dan Honemann and I responded to it. I quoted from it but Mr. Honemann did not. Guest puzzling then asked that his post be deleted. Apparently it got deleted, so my comment responding to it seems to be out of place in the thread now because guest Puzzling’s comment and Dan Honemann’s comment have been deleted. That’s a problem with deleting comments.

Edited by Richard Brown
Edited next to last sentence to add that Dan Honemann‘s comment was also deleted

2 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

Ahhh,  I think I know what happened. Guest puzzling made a comment which had some incorrect information in it. Both Dan Honemann and I responded to it. I quoted from it but Mr. Honemann did not. Guest puzzling then asked that his post be deleted. Apparently it got deleted, so my comment responding to it seems to be out of place in the thread now because guest Puzzling’s comment has been deleted. That’s a problem with deleting comments.

That would account for it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.