The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Storage of cloud recordings and recordings vs official minutes

Guest Greg P

We are using Zoom to hold an AGM and cloud recordings are available to us following the meeting.  They will prove useful in creating the minutes of the meeting.  If an attendee wants access to the recordings, are they entitled to receive them?  How long must we keep cloud recordings?  Which is the official record of the meeting - the minutes, or the recording?  As far as I can tell, Roberts Rules of Order is silent on these matters.  Advice?

Guest Puzzling
9 minutes ago, Guest Greg P said:

We are using Zoom to hold an AGM and cloud recordings are available to us following the meeting.  They will prove useful in creating the minutes of the meeting.  If an attendee wants access to the recordings, are they entitled to receive them?  How long must we keep cloud recordings?  Which is the official record of the meeting - the minutes, or the recording?  As far as I can tell, Roberts Rules of Order is silent on these matters.  Advice?

First of all do your bylaws allow zoom meetings? If not the rest is moot.

What do your bylaws say about recordings? (They have precedence over RONR)

Under RONR the minutes are the official record. RONR says nothing about the recordings at all. 

32 minutes ago, Guest Greg P said:

If the rules in RONR apply:

• The recording would be considered as part of the Secretary's notes and members would not automatically have a right to them.  However there is no rule preventing making the recording available to members.
  • Retaining the recordings is optional and up to your organization to decide.
  • The minutes (once approved) are the official record.

RONR is not silent on this point.  See §48:6

48:6      The use by the secretary of a recording device can be of great benefit in preparing the minutes, but a transcription from it should never be used as the minutes themselves.

35 minutes ago, Guest Puzzling said:

Under RONR the minutes are the official record. RONR says nothing about the recordings at all. 

16 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

Well, except for §48:6.

I agree.  For the benefit of those without the book, here is the text of 48:6:

"The use by the secretary of a recording device can be of great benefit in preparing the minutes, but a transcription from it should never be used as the minutes themselves".

Edited to add:  Mr. Novosielski  made his post above with the same information while I was typing this post.  I apologize for the duplication.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.