The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Mail-in ballots, quorum and moving the election deadline ad infinitum

par

1 minute ago, par said:

Unfortunately RR are often used to give legitimacy to stupidity via an appeal-to-authority.  Pretending it isn't the case is disingenuous.

As has been previously noted, there are a number of cases in which RONR explicitly says that certain rules (notwithstanding that the rules may ultimately be adopted in the bylaws) are extremely ill-advised. I don't know what more can be done in this regard.

24 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

As has been previously noted, there are a number of cases in which RONR explicitly says that certain rules (notwithstanding that the rules may ultimately be adopted in the bylaws) are extremely ill-advised. I don't know what more can be done in this regard.

Making RR available for free would probably go a long way towards this goal. Right now only enlightened few have access to the full text and know what's in it.

8 minutes ago, par said:

Making RR available for free would probably go a long way towards this goal. Right now only enlightened few have access to the full text and know what's in it.

Well, You are perfectly free to purchase and distribute for free all of the copies of RONR that you desire! I am sure the authors and the publisher would appreciate the extra sales. 😃

Edited to add: btw, I haven’t checked lately but I believe that RONR is around $18 on Amazon and it is also available in bookstores. The “in brief“ version, which contains most of the information that the average meeting participant needs, is probably around eight dollars.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

@par said "Unfortunately RR are often used to give legitimacy to stupidity via an appeal-to-authority."

The proper response when that happens is often, "Please show me where Robert's Rules actually says that."

It usually turns out that what the person claims is in Robert's Rules is actually not there. 

But that requires someone who is willing to call out the misuse. The book itself doesn't jump up and say "That's incorrect."

Edited by Atul Kapur

13 minutes ago, par said:

It's all about money, isn't it? :(

Isn’t that what our free enterprise system is all about? Why don’t you go do your job for free? Publishing an 800 page book isn’t cheap. The Robert’s Rules Association does provide this forum to the public for free as a public service even though it costs them money to do so.  All of us who contribute to it do so for free as a public service despite many of us having hourly consulting rates of $50 - $200 an hour, some maybe even higher.

5 hours ago, par said:

Well, that's interesting, but I don't know what has to do with the price of oranges. :)

Your original statement was that it was a problem that RONR was not "authoritative" enough on certain matters, and I was addressing that concern.

1 minute ago, Josh Martin said:

Well, that's interesting, but I don't know what has to do with the price of oranges. :)

Your original statement was that it was a problem that RONR was not "authoritative" enough on certain matters, and I was addressing that concern.

I was just presenting an idea since you were asking for a solution in the post I replied to:

I don't know what more can be done in this regard.

Maybe you don't want to hear this kind of ideas and that's fine with me.

2 hours ago, par said:

I was just presenting an idea since you were asking for a solution in the post I replied to:

I don't know what more can be done in this regard.

Maybe you don't want to hear this kind of ideas and that's fine with me.

I suppose I must have misunderstood what your original complaint was. I took it to relate to the contents of RONR rather than to its availability.

I have no control over the price of RONR. I am not a member of the Authorship Team and I do not work for the publisher. I just post here. So whether or not I want to hear such a suggestion doesn't really matter.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.