The Official RONR Q & A Forums

On a video meeting, must an audio link exist for a member to be present?

tjjharris

At a recent video meeting where quorum of 5 was required, and only 5 presented to meet, I logged in early and awaited the call to order.  No one knew my audio was not working.  The meeting was called to order and business done despite that only 4 persons could hear the proceedings.  When I connected 4 minutes late, my protests were voted down.  Was quorum established or not, just because they could see me?  I was repeatedly overruled on other points of order.  I wish this to be noted in the minutes when they are submitted for approval, and want to know if there is a protocol to establish acknowledgement of audio before call to order.    After all, All members of a meeting must be aware of what's happening.

Thank you.

11 hours ago, tjjharris said:

I was repeatedly overruled on other points of order.  I wish this to be noted in the minutes

Under RONR, rulings on points of order are to be recorded in the minutes. If they are not, you should offer corrections. 

I assume that you made such a point of order regarding your lack of audio and that, there wasn't a quorum of members who met the criteria Mr. Novosielski quotes.

11 hours ago, tjjharris said:

want to know if there is a protocol to establish acknowledgement of audio before call to order.

There is no universal protocol. Organizations can and should create their own. You could, for example, propose that attendance be verified by roll call at the beginning of each meeting.

Edited by Atul Kapur

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.