The Official RONR Q & A Forums

This is person an eligible candidate?

Maureen WM

Hi again,

I have another scenario:

At a virtual meeting, a person (John) was nominated from the floor to serve as a candidate i.e. their name would have been on the ballot. John may or may not have heard this nomination from the floor at the time and there was not action taken to confirm John's willingness at the time. However, there was a follow up email to this individual, and no reply from John. 

The vacancy remained on the ballot and write ins were required.

The results from the election indicated that John received votes as a write in candidate and received enough votes to win.

Is this person an eligible candidate? 

Thanks for your interpretation.

12 hours ago, Maureen WM said:

Hi again,

I have another scenario:

At a virtual meeting, a person (John) was nominated from the floor to serve as a candidate i.e. their name would have been on the ballot. John may or may not have heard this nomination from the floor at the time and there was not action taken to confirm John's willingness at the time. However, there was a follow up email to this individual, and no reply from John. 

The results from the election indicated that John received votes as a write in candidate and received enough votes to win.

Your post contains no requirement for serving in office, for being nominated, or for being elected. In other words, there is nothing in your post to provide a basis for any individual to be ineligible for anything. RONR contains no eligibility requirements for being nominated or serving in office. So, based solely on the information in your post, John is elected, provided he does not decline, in which case the election is incomplete. 

On 6/10/2021 at 11:35 PM, Maureen WM said:

Hi again,

I have another scenario:

I don't understand why a "vacancy" remained on the ballot.  It sounded as though John was nominated.  So I see no reason why he did not appear on the ballot.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.