The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Issuing a gavel

Guest marciaterry2002@yahoo.com

Guest marciaterry2002@yahoo.com

Our President insists on issuing the vice president a gavel, I say because at installation the president was the only one issued a gavel that person is the only one that should have a gavel, to me it undermines the presidents authority, and I cant find it in the book.

21 minutes ago, Guest marciaterry2002@yahoo.com said:

Our President insists on issuing the vice president a gavel, I say because at installation the president was the only one issued a gavel that person is the only one that should have a gavel, to me it undermines the presidents authority, and I cant find it in the book.

There is nothing in the book about issuing a gavel, and precious little about using one.

4 hours ago, Guest marciaterry2002@yahoo.com said:

My own view is that presiding officers use their gavels far too much, so it's probably best if you don't issue anyone a gavel. :)

Setting that aside, however, it is ultimately up to the society to determine whether to issue the President, the Vice President, both, or neither a gavel. RONR has no rule on this matter. I suppose it might be viewed by some as "undermining" the President's authority to issue the Vice President a gavel. I imagine the President's rationale, however, is that is simply a matter of convenience - if both the President and Vice President are issued gavels, then the Vice President will have a gavel at hand in the event he needs to preside in the President's absence.

Edited by Josh Martin

22 hours ago, Rob Elsman said:

In the "new normal" of COVID-19, separate gavels may make some sense: his microbes are his, and my microbes are mine. 😷

My idea was not private gavels but a gavel for the vice president a bit less elaborate than the one for the president  (silver instead of gold or something like that)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.