The Official RONR Q & A Forums

RONR 49:7 Matters Exclusively Under the Control of the Board

RONR93

I am seeking assistance with RONR 49:7 which indicates that "Except in matters placed by the bylaws exclusively under the control of the board, the society's assembly can give the board instructions which it must carry out, and can rescind or amend any action of the board if it is not too late."

In this regard, is it fair to interpret that items that are expressly stated as "responsibilities of the board" in the bylaws meet the criteria as "exclusively under the control of the board", regardless of whether that statement or the word exclusive is specifically stated?

7 minutes ago, RONR93 said:

I am seeking assistance with RONR 49:7 which indicates that "Except in matters placed by the bylaws exclusively under the control of the board, the society's assembly can give the board instructions which it must carry out, and can rescind or amend any action of the board if it is not too late."

In this regard, is it fair to interpret that items that are expressly stated as "responsibilities of the board" in the bylaws meet the criteria as "exclusively under the control of the board", regardless of whether that statement or the word exclusive is specifically stated?

No, most likely not, although the word "exclusive" is not essential in this regard.

Agreeing with Mr. Honemann, I do not believe the quoted language is quite sufficient for us to say that those items are exclusively under the control of the board. Ultimately, this is a question of bylaws interpretation for the organization itself to decide, but I do not believe the quoted language is quite explicit enough.

• 3 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.