The Official RONR Q & A Forums

State Statutes vs RONR

Tomm

1:5 says, "the actions of any deliberative body are also subject to applicable procedural rules prescribed by local, state, or national law and would be null and void if in violation of such law." 

2:18 says, "When a society or an assembly has adopted a particular parliamentary manual - such as this book- as its authority, the rules contained in that manual are binding upon it in all cases where they are not inconsistent with the bylaws (or constitution) of the the body, any of its special rules of order, or any provision of local, state, or national law applying to the particular type of organization."

Question: If an organizations bylaws and articles of incorporation are silent on an issue (i.e. disciplinary procedures to terminate a board member), and if state's Title 10 statutes do have a procedure but they are not inconsistent with RONR, but perhaps not as in depth or defined, do you still go directly to the state statute or can you stop first at RONR?

• Tomm changed the title to State Statutes vs RONR
1 hour ago, Tomm said:

Question: If an organizations bylaws and articles of incorporation are silent on an issue (i.e. disciplinary procedures to terminate a board member), and if state's Title 10 statutes do have a procedure but they are not inconsistent with RONR, but perhaps not as in depth or defined, do you still go directly to the state statute or can you stop first at RONR?

I would describe it as

- follow the state laws and let RONR fill in the gaps. So First go to the state statute. Bylaws and special rules of order and only then use RONR to fill the last gaps.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.