The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What are the rules on having the parliamentarian take over as chair of the meeting?

user

I've seen this happen in two different situations (in different organizations), there were high conflict situations and the president basically just handed the chair position over to the parliamentarian so the parliamentarian could run the meeting. No motion for it or vote taken at all. In both situations, the president had a conflict of interest that prevented them from being neutral.

One point of concern is whether this is acceptable if the parliamentarian is not a member of the assembly. What are the rules on this and how does this change things?

I'm pretty sure just handing the chair over to the parliamentarian without a vote isn't the appropriate procedure? Though I assume if nobody complains, then it's acceptable by unanimous consent?

Citations would be helpful. Thanks!

10 hours ago, user said:

I've seen this happen in two different situations (in different organizations), there were high conflict situations and the president basically just handed the chair position over to the parliamentarian so the parliamentarian could run the meeting. No motion for it or vote taken at all. In both situations, the president had a conflict of interest that prevented them from being neutral.

One point of concern is whether this is acceptable if the parliamentarian is not a member of the assembly. What are the rules on this and how does this change things?

I'm pretty sure just handing the chair over to the parliamentarian without a vote isn't the appropriate procedure? Though I assume if nobody complains, then it's acceptable by unanimous consent?

If the Vice President concurs with this arrangement (or if the Vice President is absent), then a majority vote is sufficient for approval. Unanimous consent would, of course, be an acceptable substitute. If the Vice President objects, then it would be necessary to suspend the rules, which requires a 2/3 vote.

Whether the parliamentarian is (or is not) a member of the assembly doesn't change anything.

See RONR (12th ed.) 47:11, 47:13.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.