The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Question on Appointment of Convention Officers

Guest Stuck on Conundrum

Guest Stuck on Conundrum

I am a member of an organization where Convention Officers are appointed. Officers are to be appointed 90 days before the Convention begins. Such was done properly before our upcoming convention, that occurs within 90 days from today. The Convention Chair resigned due to a medical situation. The Charter and Bylaws are silent as to appointment of a replacement or any situation where a convention officer resigns after appointment and within 90 days of the convention. My question is what would the proper procedure be at this point? It appears that Robert's does not address this situation either. My thinking is that either the body elects the Chair at convention or the provisions of 47:57 apply as it would if any office was vacant.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

9 hours ago, Guest Stuck on Conundrum said:

I am a member of an organization where Convention Officers are appointed. Officers are to be appointed 90 days before the Convention begins. Such was done properly before our upcoming convention, that occurs within 90 days from today. The Convention Chair resigned due to a medical situation. The Charter and Bylaws are silent as to appointment of a replacement or any situation where a convention officer resigns after appointment and within 90 days of the convention. My question is what would the proper procedure be at this point? It appears that Robert's does not address this situation either. My thinking is that either the body elects the Chair at convention or the provisions of 47:57 apply as it would if any office was vacant.

Yes, I think the provisions of 47:57 are applicable. In the event that the vacancy is not filled prior to the convention (and there is no Vice Chair), the Secretary would call the convention to order, and a Chairman Pro Tempore would be elected by the convention.

I suppose there may be a question of bylaws interpretation as to whether the rule which provides that "Officers are to be appointed 90 days before the Convention begins" prevents filling a vacancy which occurs less than 90 days before the convention. I am generally inclined to think not, but it will ultimately be up to the organization to interpret its own bylaws.

I agree that the president likely has the authority to appoint a replacement (or to fill the vacancy), but we could probably provide a better answer if we knew more about other provisions in the bylaws. Absent a contrary provision in the bylaws, I would say the president does have the authority to appoint a replacement.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.