The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Open Discussion of New Topic

PAPS

Good morning!

I am the President of a local dog show club and we try our best to use RONR. If I want to introduce a new topic for discussion only (with no action or motion), does this fall under New Business or Good of the Order?

This is our typical Agenda:

Roll Call

Minutes of last meeting

Report of President

Report of Secretary

Report of Treasurer

Report of Committees:

Introduction &/or Election of New Members

Unfinished Business

New Business

Next Meeting

Adjournment

Brags

Thank you,

Amy

If this club has meetngs with more than a dozen or so members, the president does not make motions to introduce new business in order to maintain the appearance of impartiality.  Some other member should make an appropriate main motion proposing to do something.  This should be done in the New Business section of the established order of business.

1 hour ago, PAPS said:

I am the President of a local dog show club and we try our best to use RONR. If I want to introduce a new topic for discussion only (with no action or motion), does this fall under New Business or Good of the Order?

Agreeing at least in part with the answer by Mr. Elsman, normally introducing an item for discussion only is not proper.  However, it can be done during a portion of the meeting which RONR refers to as "For the Good of the Order".  It can also be done during new business, but the member making the request should request the permission of the assembly to permit the "item" to be introduced for the purposes of discussion only.  As Mr. Elsman hinted at, unless this is a meeting of a committee or a small board of no more than about a dozen members, you as president should not be making the motion but it should be made by another member.  Usually this type of request is handled by general consent (without objection), but if any member objects the request should be put to a vote of the assembly.  It requires only a majority vote as with other requests.  See sections 4:7 - 4:8 and 33:22 of RONR (12th ed.).

Thank you! To maintain impartiality, I avoid making motions or voting. We had a matter that someone wanted placed on the agenda and I was unsure if it was considered New Business or Good of the Order.

I also appreciate letting me know that the President would not introduce an item....thank you for that insight!

Thank you very much!

Amy

6 hours ago, PAPS said:

Thank you! To maintain impartiality, I avoid making motions or voting. We had a matter that someone wanted placed on the agenda and I was unsure if it was considered New Business or Good of the Order.

I also appreciate letting me know that the President would not introduce an item....thank you for that insight!

Thank you very much!

Amy

It might well be considered under Good of the Order, especially if it is just to raise an issue without any proposed action, at least not immediately.

I note, however that your order of business does not include such a heading.  You might consider changing Next Meeting to Good of the Order, since knowing about the next meeting is certainly Good, but is not necessarily the only Good.

You also have something coming after Adjourn, which is not unmeaningless.

• 2 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.