The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appointed Board Members

Guest Bonnie

Maybe we need more information about your organization and its board.

If these appointed board members are members of board, they have the same rights as all other board members to fully participate in board meetings unless your bylaws provide otherwise.  I’m assuming you are talking about board meetings. If not, please tell us exactly what meetings you are referring to. 

Edited to add: What do your bylaws say about these appointed board members? 

Edited by Richard Brown
Typographical correction and added last paragraph

1 hour ago, Guest Bonnie said:

So even though they are not allowed to vote in our organization since they are not elected officials, they can still make a motion? 

If they are not allowed to vote then they aren't what RONR calls members.  So they must be a special class of member that is defined in your Bylaws or Special Rules of Order, and that's where any powers or restrictions would be listed.

32 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

If they are not allowed to vote then they aren't what RONR calls members.  So they must be a special class of member that is defined in your Bylaws or Special Rules of Order, and that's where any powers or restrictions would be listed.

But guest Bonnie has said these are “appointed board members“. They might well be members of the board and entitled to vote at board meetings, but not members of the general membership and therefore not entitled to vote at general membership meetings. That is what I’m trying to get clarified with Guest Bonnie.

Edited to add  We need to keep in mind that Guest Bonnie is not asking about voting rights, she’s asking about the right to make motions, which might be permissible even if they do not have the right to vote. That is why I am asking her for more information.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

• 2 weeks later...

We have elected officials, our Executive Board - President, Vice President, Secretary and Director of Finance. We also have eight elected regional directors who represent the eight regions in the country. They make up our Board of elected officials. They all have voting privileges. We then have appointed positions on our board - Historian, Newsletter Editor, Education Chairperson. They are invited to our Board meetings. They have a voice, but no vote. So the question is: if they cannot vote at our meetings, can they still make a motion. I’m thinking if making a motion is part of the voting process, the answer would be no. 

8 minutes ago, Guest Bonnie said:

We then have appointed positions on our board - Historian, Newsletter Editor, Education Chairperson. They are invited to our Board meetings. They have a voice, but no vote. So the question is: if they cannot vote at our meetings, can they still make a motion. I’m thinking if making a motion is part of the voting process, the answer would be no. 

Please quote verbatim the bylaw provisions regarding these appointed members and whatever authority and powers they have or do not have.

The answer to your question depends primarily on what your bylaws say about these members/positions and whether they are or are not officially members of the board. In addition, even if they do not have the right to vote, the rules may probably be suspended to permit them to make motions and to speak in debate.  

On 7/22/2021 at 12:39 PM, Guest Bonnie said:

Richard Brown,

So even though they are not allowed to vote in our organization since they are not elected officials, they can still make a motion? 

These questions are going nowhere until we know, verbatim, what your bylaws say about this.

22 hours ago, Guest Bonnie said:

We have elected officials, our Executive Board - President, Vice President, Secretary and Director of Finance. We also have eight elected regional directors who represent the eight regions in the country. They make up our Board of elected officials. They all have voting privileges. We then have appointed positions on our board - Historian, Newsletter Editor, Education Chairperson. They are invited to our Board meetings. They have a voice, but no vote. So the question is: if they cannot vote at our meetings, can they still make a motion. I’m thinking if making a motion is part of the voting process, the answer would be no. 

I concur with my colleagues that the answer to this question ultimately depends on the wording in the organization's rules regarding these "voice, but no vote" rules. I will say, however, that making a motion is not "part of the voting process."

Guest Bonnie, as three of us have already said, we need to know EXACTLY, VERBATIM, what your BYLAWS say about the makeup of your board and in particular these "appointed positions".  Without knowing exactly what your bylaws say about that, we really can't help you.  Please quote the relevant provisions exactly,  don't paraphrase.  You can disguise the name of the organization if necessary, but we need to know exactly what your bylaws say about the makeup of the board and these appointed positions.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.