The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Agenda Approval

Guest Doug

6 hours ago, Guest Doug said:

Is a seconded Motion to approve an agenda with the removal of an item that is shown on the agenda debatable?

Well I think you would want to do that as two motions: one to amend the proposed agenda by removing an item, and another to approve the (possibly amended) agenda.  But yes, such motions are debatable.

The maker of the motion to adopt an agenda has the right the make the main motion to adopt whatever agenda he wishes to propose, notwithstanding a proposed agenda that might have been posted or circulated before the meeting.  He need not use two motions, as Mr. Novosielski seems to suggest.

38 minutes ago, Rob Elsman said:

The maker of the motion to adopt an agenda has the right the make the main motion to adopt whatever agenda he wishes to propose, notwithstanding a proposed agenda that might have been posted or circulated before the meeting.  He need not use two motions, as Mr. Novosielski seems to suggest.

Rob, are you sure of this?  I'm not.... in fact, I don't believe it's correct.  The answer might depend on who prepares the agenda and whether the organization has a rule that says, in effect, "The president shall prepare (or propose) the agenda".   I view this as similar to the approval of the minutes.  It's my understanding, in large part due to discussions on this forum, that if the secretary does in fact prepare the draft minutes for approval at the meeting, her version and only her version is the version that is before the assembly.  There might be a way to ultimately get a "substitute" set of minutes adopted, but I'm not going there right now.

It seems to me that the approval (or adoption) of the agenda would be treated the same way if there is a rule (or perhaps even a custom) that the president prepares the agenda.  I believe that in such a case it is the president's proposed agenda, and only his version, that is before the assembly for approval.  Now, as with the minutes, perhaps it is possible for an alternate or "substitute" agenda to ultimately be adopted, but I believe that if the rules specify that the president shall prepare an agenda, it is his proposed agenda that is before the assembly.

I welcome further discussion on this topic.

5 hours ago, Rob Elsman said:

Insofar as the rules in RONR (12th ed.)  control, I confirm my previous answer.  It goes without saying, by now, that governing documents may prescribe something else.

If it is a simple matter of proposing an agenda when there is not one currently pending, then yes, the mover is free to propose one.  However, in this case we are told that there is already one under consideration, and someone wants to propose, in one motion, that the assembly remove one item and adopt the remaining agenda.

And that is simply not how a motion is handled.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.