The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Scheduling a special meeting

Guest Sandra l

our bylaws read” every reasonable attempt to notify all board members of every board meeting, including special and emergency meetings. Meeting minutes must be taken and shall include available information as to why board members are not in attendance.”  This is a disciplinary hearing, the board member Who will be the topic of discipline has not been invited. When I pointed this out that “John” has to be included so he can speak in his own defense, the president replied I have invited all the board members. Clearly his name was not on the email list and he says he has not received an invite, the meeting is tomorrow. 
now what? 
thank you  

Knowing exactly what your bylaws say about the various aspects of this subject would be helpful and might even change my answer. However, the rule in RONR is quite clear: the right to attend meetings is a basic right of membership in a body. All members are entitled to notice of all meetings and a member cannot be excluded from a meeting except when the assembly is actually deliberating on the issue of guilt in a disciplinary proceeding. But the member is absolutely entitled to attend and participate in the trial and to put on a defense.  This is covered in chapter XX of RONR, the 26 page chapter on discipline.

Edited to add: there are other sections in RONR about the right to receive notice of meetings and to attend meetings. I do not have time at the moment to look up those citations  but perhaps someone else will provide more information on that subject.

Edited by Richard Brown
Miscellaneous typographical corrections and added last paragraph

This special meeting for a disciplinary hearing took place, w/o the member in question being notified to appear.  This person was aware that a meeting was going to take place, but he personally was not notified to appear and give statements in his own defense.  A vote was taken and passed to reprimand.  When I questioned, was this person notified to appear, I was assured they were, however his name does not appear in the names of  email recipients, nor did he receive personal notice of any kind.  Now what would be the recourse for this member and or the other board members?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.