The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations from the Floor at an AGM - Not For Profit Organization

ChilliwackKaren

Our Not-for-Profit organization is having the annual general meeting in September and I am running the nomination process as part of that meeting for the first time.  We have positions that need to be filled for the upcoming Management Committee.  Some people are staying on for another year and we have a few vacancies to fill.  I was told that we must take nominations from the floor for all positions, even if there is an incumbent.  But more to the point, I was told that I have to ask for nominations from the floor for each position three times!  Yikes, that seems like a lot of "asks".  Can I just ask once if there is anyone from the floor that would like to nominate someone for the position of secretary (as an example).

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

No, the "three times" thing is nonsense, but I've heard it before.  Where it comes from I have no idea.  I suppose it's possible that it's in your bylaws, but it's certainly not anywhere in RONR.

Yes, you can ask once, and after a reasonable pause for replies, move on.  "Hearing none, nominations for Secretary are closed." 

But if anyone then says "Hey that was too fast I wanted to nom..."  just acknowledge them and allow them to make a nomination.  Voting to (re)open nominations takes a majority vote, and voting to close them takes a 2/3 vote, if it comes to that.

You say you are running the nomination process of that meeting, which I take to mean that you are not the normal presiding officer.  Is there a reason why the normal presiding officer is not performing that duty?

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 9/1/2021 at 6:41 PM, ChilliwackKaren said:

I was told that we must take nominations from the floor for all positions, even if there is an incumbent. 

Mr. Novosielski seems to have overlooked that part of your question (or I missed his response to it), so I will answer it. Yes, you must call for nominations for all offices with terms that end this year, whether or not the incumbent is eligible and seeking another term.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:41 PM, ChilliwackKaren said:

We have positions that need to be filled for the upcoming Management Committee.  Some people are staying on for another year and we have a few vacancies to fill.  I was told that we must take nominations from the floor for all positions, even if there is an incumbent.

You certainly need to take nominations from the floor for all positions that need to be filled. You say, however, that you have some people who are staying on for another year. If, by this, you mean that their term in office is not expiring, then these are not positions that need to be filed, and you should not ask for nominations for these offices. On the other hand, if by this you mean that some people whose terms are expiring are seeking reelection to the offices they now hold, then you must ask for nominations for these offices. One assumes that these incumbents seeking reelection will themselves want to be nominated (unless they have already been nominated somehow), but in any event, you must ask for nominations for these offices.

Thank you all for your comments and clarification.  As Vice President, and soon to be President, the task of running the election falls at the AGM to me. If I did not wish to do it, I could ask a past-president, however, I am comfortable in this role.  The only position that has a fixed term is that of the President. Other than that, all positions are open for as long as the person is willing to take on that responsibility.  So, we will nominate everyone even though they have been in the roll for the previous year and take nominations from the floor - but only once!

On 9/3/2021 at 11:01 AM, ChilliwackKaren said:

Other than that, all positions are open for as long as the person is willing to take on that responsibility.

Could you quote exactly what your bylaws say in this regard? That would be an unusual arrangement.

On 9/3/2021 at 11:01 AM, ChilliwackKaren said:

So, we will nominate everyone even though they have been in the roll for the previous year and take nominations from the floor - but only once!

If it is in fact correct that only the office of President has a fixed term, and "all [other] positions are open for as long as the person is willing to take on that responsibility," then nominations would only be required for the office of President (assuming that term is up) and for any positions where the incumbent is stepping down.

As previously noted, however, that would be highly unusual. Are you sure there isn't a fixed term for all officers, but only the President has a term limit?

Edited by Josh Martin

On 9/1/2021 at 10:35 PM, Weldon Merritt said:

Mr. Novosielski seems to have overlooked that part of your question (or I missed his response to it), so I will answer it. Yes, you must call for nominations for all offices with terms that end this year, whether or not the incumbent is eligible and seeking another term.

No, I read the question and answered it.  The question was do I need to ask three times.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.