The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a Board Member Resign from their Position but Not Resign from the Board?

Ligster

I have been trying to find some answers on this with no Luck.  Can a Florida Condo HOA board member resign from his or her position but say they are not resigning from the board?  If they can remain on the board and hold no position do they still have a vote?  I find this very confusing and would greatly appreciate some feedback. 

On 9/6/2021 at 2:24 PM, Ligster said:

Can a Florida Condo HOA board member resign from his or her position but say they are not resigning from the board?

That depends on how the member got on the board in the first place. If the general membership elects the board, and then the board elects the officers from among the board members, they he or she probably can resign as an officer and still remain on the board. But if the membership elects the officers and other designated positions, and the members elected to those position gain their board membership by virtue of the office held, then probably not. A definitive answer, however, would require a review of your bylaws.

On 9/6/2021 at 2:24 PM, Ligster said:

If they can remain on the board and hold no position do they still have a vote?

If they remain on the board, they do not "hold no position." They hold the position of board member. And members may vote. Of course, that's "if." (See my response to your first question.)

On 9/6/2021 at 3:55 PM, Ligster said:

Thank you.... makes sense but not sure why someone would do it.  

If the bylaws provide that the membership elects the board, but the board elects its own officers (President, Secretary, etc.) it may well be, for example, that the person serving as President no longer wishes to serve as President, but still wishes to serve as a member of the board.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.