The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Tabling an item

Guest Scott Gallison

At a recent meeting of our local planning commission, the decision was made to table an item regarding a proposed development.  I understand that there were questions that the Commission needed answers to, thus tabling the item... However, I was informed that since the item is tabled, if no action is taken on it, it will automatically pass after 60 days.  I know that this cannot be accurate.   Can someone give me guidelines on how this should be handled, and if it were handled correctly in the first place?  I was not at the meeting, so cannot say whether there was a time frame set for taking it off the table.  Does not sound like there was.   Thanks

On 9/7/2021 at 10:00 AM, Guest Scott Gallison said:

At a recent meeting of our local planning commission, the decision was made to table an item regarding a proposed development.  I understand that there were questions that the Commission needed answers to, thus tabling the item... However, I was informed that since the item is tabled, if no action is taken on it, it will automatically pass after 60 days.  I know that this cannot be accurate.   Can someone give me guidelines on how this should be handled, and if it were handled correctly in the first place?  I was not at the meeting, so cannot say whether there was a time frame set for taking it off the table.  Does not sound like there was.   Thanks

First, so far as RONR is concerned, this appears to be a misuse of the motion to Lay on the Table. See FAQ #12.

In any event, it certainly is not correct (at least under the rules in RONR) that the item "will automatically pass after 60 days." If a motion is postponed to a certain time, it is automatically taken up at that time. If it is laid on the table, the motion stays on the table until the next regular meeting (or the current meeting, if the next regular meeting is not within a quarterly interval). If not taken up within that time, the motion dies and would need to be made again.

It is very possible, however, that the planning commission's rules or applicable law have their own rules on this matter, and those rules would take precedence over RONR.

In the United States, the verb "to table" should not be used in the context of parliamentary law.  The meaning of this verb in this context is ambiguous and subject to misuse and confusion.

Insofar as Robert's Rules is the controlling authority, there are several subsidiary motions that can treat the main motion.  Each motion has a specific purpose and particular forms.

a)  Lay on the Table temporarily disposes of the pending main motion to permit the taking up of an urgent matter.  It is never in order when used as a means of killing a main motion and suppressing it for the remainder of the session by majority vote without debate.

b)  Postpone to a Certain Time temporarily disposes of the pending main motion for further consideration at some later time.  There are several forms of this motion that determine at what time the the main motion will come up for further consideration.

c)  Postpone Indefinitely permanently disposes of a main motion and suppresses it for the remainder of the session.  In effect, it's adoption is an indirect rejection of the pending main motion.  This motion requires a majority vote for adoption, but it opens the the merits of the pending main motion to full debate, just as if the pending main motion were the  immediately pending motion.

On 9/7/2021 at 11:50 AM, Josh Martin said:

First, so far as RONR is concerned, this appears to be a misuse of the motion to Lay on the Table. See FAQ #12.

In any event, it certainly is not correct (at least under the rules in RONR) that the item "will automatically pass after 60 days." If a motion is postponed to a certain time, it is automatically taken up at that time. If it is laid on the table, the motion stays on the table until the next regular meeting (or the current meeting, if the next regular meeting is not within a quarterly interval). If not taken up within that time, the motion dies and would need to be made again.

It is very possible, however, that the planning commission's rules or applicable law have their own rules on this matter, and those rules would take precedence over RONR.

Thanks for your response.  In reviewing, the County Commission (not the planning commission) has posted their "Commission Rules".  In them, it does not address "laying on the table" anywhere.   There IS a section that says that "anything not covered in these rules will be handled under Roberts rules".   I would have to think that the Planning Commission has their own rules, OR they follow the County Commission rules.  Here in TN, there IS a law that reads as below.   This is where the folks are getting this 60 day rule, though the law below makes no provision for when an item is "layed on the table" etc...........Also, it talks about "initial consideration".........This meeting was quite contentious, with lots of public comment earlier.  I think they may have tabled it (I know, not correct), without even discussing it.   For example:  Chair says "The next item is this plat".    A member then immediately requests that the item be tabled to gather more information...........A vote is held, and item is tabled..........Does that qualify as "initial consideration"?

13-3-404. Procedure upon submission of plats — Procedure in certain counties.

(a) The regional planning commission shall approve or disapprove a plat within sixty (60) days after the initial consideration of the plat by the regional planning commission meeting in a regularly scheduled session, unless at the end of the sixty-day period there is a holiday or an unexpected interceding event that would close municipal or county government offices and thus affect the normal computation of the sixty-day period, in which case the plat shall be approved or disapproved after the interrupted sixty-day period at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the regional planning commission; otherwise, the plat shall be deemed approved and a certificate to that effect shall be issued by the commission on demand. The applicant for the commission's approval may waive the time requirement set in this subsection (a) and consent to an extension or extensions of the applicable time period. When a plat has been filed with the appropriate officials of the planning commission, the plat shall be placed on the agenda of the planning commission within thirty (30) days of the filing or the next regularly scheduled planning commission meeting after the thirty-day period. The applicant may waive the time frame requirement for the appearance of the plat on the agenda. The ground of disapproval of any plat shall be stated upon the records of the commission. Any plat submitted to the commission shall contain the name and address of a person to whom notice of hearing may be sent; and no plat shall be acted upon by the commission without affording a hearing thereon, notice of the time and place of which shall be sent by mail to the address not less than five (5) days before the date fixed for such hearing.

On 9/7/2021 at 10:48 AM, Guest Scott said:

For example:  Chair says "The next item is this plat".    A member then immediately requests that the item be tabled to gather more information...........A vote is held, and item is tabled..........Does that qualify as "initial consideration"?

This requires an interpretation of the statute, which is beyond the scope of this forum. You will need to consult a qualified attorney.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.