The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Laying on the table and taking off the table

Guest Bill

Scenario:

Agenda item is taken up, and during discussion, it was the opinion of the board that they needed more information from another official.   The decision was to lay it on the table while they get that opinion, knowing that they wouldn't be able to take it off the table at this meeting.   (now, I believe that this is an incorrect use of laying on the table, I think it should have been postponed til, etc, but this is what happened and is done)

So, the question.........This item has been layed on the table.  When does the committee have to take it off the table?  It is my understanding, reading the rules, that the item needs to be "taken off the table" by motion, at the next scheduled meeting, or else the item dies.   It cannot be layed on the table is a method to avoid a vote.   What do you think?  Honestly, reading Roberts rules can be quite confusing.   Thanks

On 9/8/2021 at 6:09 AM, Guest Bill said:

(now, I believe that this is an incorrect use of laying on the table, I think it should have been postponed til, etc, but this is what happened and is done)

Correct.

When does the committee have to take it off the table?  It is my understanding, reading the rules, that the item needs to be "taken off the table" by motion, at the next scheduled meeting, or else the item dies.

Yes, this is correct. When a motion has been laid on the table, the motion must be taken from the table by the end of the next regular meeting, if that meeting is within a quarterly interval. If not, the motion must be taken from the table by the end of the same meeting. If the motion is not taken from the table within that timeframe, it dies, although the motion can simply be made again in that case.

It cannot be layed on the table is a method to avoid a vote.

Yes, that's correct. As you have previously noted, the motion to Lay on the Table was misused, but it's too late to fix that now.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:21 AM, Josh Martin said:

Correct.

Yes, this is correct. When a motion has been laid on the table, the motion must be taken from the table by the end of the next regular meeting, if that meeting is within a quarterly interval. If not, the motion must be taken from the table by the end of the same meeting. If the motion is not taken from the table within that timeframe, it dies, although the motion can simply be made again in that case.

Yes, that's correct. As you have previously noted, the motion to Lay on the Table was misused, but it's too late to fix that now.

Any clue in Roberts rules where it says this?  I have read it, but don't really find it. 

On 9/8/2021 at 11:04 AM, Daniel H. Honemann said:

RONR, 12th ed., 17:8

On 9/8/2021 at 7:21 AM, Josh Martin said:

Correct.

Thank you, sir

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.