The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presidential Election

Guest Steve

The Non-profit where I'm a member recently held it's Presidential Election. Today we were told who the winner was (it was just one candidate), but we have so far been refused the numbers. Is it legal for the people in power to refuse transparency into the election? What can be done to pressure the leaders to disclose the exact result?

On 9/9/2021 at 12:27 AM, Guest Steve said:

The Non-profit where I'm a member recently held it's Presidential Election. Today we were told who the winner was (it was just one candidate), but we have so far been refused the numbers. Is it legal for the people in power to refuse transparency into the election?

Under the rules in RONR, the teller's report must be read and included in the minutes in full. Such a report would include the exact number of votes cast and the exact number of votes received by each candidate, among a few other things. An example is found in RONR (12th ed.) 45:37.

I would note that this is still required even if there is only one candidate, although in such a case I don't imagine there is a lot of suspense in the results. Although I suppose it's possible there were a lot of write-in votes.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:27 AM, Guest Steve said:

What can be done to pressure the leaders to disclose the exact result?

For starters, raise a Point of Order (followed by an Appeal, if necessary) regarding this matter, and/or adopt a motion ordering this information to be disclosed. If they still refuse, move on to disciplinary procedures.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.