The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee Concern

Guest Whit

Greetings: I am involved with a club that allowed a sitting President to go back to the Nominating Committee to overturn a unanimously approved candidate, ordered a second round of interviews, did his back room homework and had his candidate prevail. This cannot be a allowed thing? I do not see anything in the rules speaking to this .

At one point I saw something about the Chair / President not getting involved in moving candidates to the Nominating process?

What you probably saw was the general rule of the president being an ex officio member of all committees except the nominating committee. I know of no actual prohibition against the president being a member of such committee. Its just not in the best interests of most organizations.

As to what took place in the election, I assume that most other members were aware of the facts and nevertheless voted for the president's candidate. If this is true then there is nothing that can be done. However, if you as a member of this organization are convinced that something took place that violated some rule or that would bring disrepute or scorn upon the organization if discovered, then you are free to make a motion to discipline any or all individuals involved in such an act.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.