The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Election Question

Guest J.B.

Hi.

I'm part of a board that has 19 positions to fill. Unfortunately, we only have 12 people total who want to join the board, so we need all 12 people voted on to run our league.

Another issue is we don't have many members of our membership that take part in the voting process.

My question is what what requirements are needed for all 12 people to be elected?

Let's say only one out of the 12 gets a majority of votes, does that mean the other 11 don't get to be board members even though they are needed? That type of rule would seem to hurt an organization. 

Can anyone offer some guidance with this type of a situation?

J.B.

You would list the 12 names on the ballot, along with 19 lines for write-in votes, with the instruction: Vote for up to 19.

You can also reopen the floor to nominations prior to the election.

Any person that receives a majority of the votes cast is elected, and any remaining unfilled seats would trigger a second (or more) ballot with fewer names and lines.  

Rinse, Repeat.  

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 9/17/2021 at 10:20 AM, Gary Novosielski said:

You would list the 12 names on the ballot, along with 19 lines for write-in votes, with the instruction: Vote for up to 19.

Any person that receives a majority of the votes cast is elected, and any remaining unfilled seats would trigger a second (or more) ballot with fewer names and lines.  

Rinse, Repeat.  

Is there a minimum percentage of the general membership that needs to vote to make the vote valid? For example, if we send ballots to every member, but only 10% of them vote, is there a rule regarding that? 

RONR assumes that the voting occurs at a valid meeting, that is, one with a quorum in attendance. If a quorum is present, there is no minimum number of votes required to be cast and a 1-0 vote can decide issues.

If you are doing voting outside of a meeting, as it sounds like you are, then you will have to specify in your rules such things as whether there is a minimum turnout required. If you do not, then I would say there is no minimum required; only the membership gets to make that decision, however, not me.

Edited by Atul Kapur

On 9/17/2021 at 10:20 AM, Gary Novosielski said:

Rinse, Repeat.  

Does a certain percentage of the general membership have to vote to make the election valid? For example, if we send out the vote to 100% of our membership and only 10% votes, is that vote still valid?

On 9/17/2021 at 11:39 AM, Atul Kapur said:

RONR it seems that the Voting is occurring at a valid meeting, that is, one with a quorum in attendance.

If you are doing voting outside of a meeting, as it sounds like you are, then you will have to specify in your rules such things as whether there is a minimum turnout required. If you do not, then I would say there is no minimum turnout; only the membership gets to make that decision, however, not me.

Yes, due to Covid this year, we are having to do our vote online.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.