The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations and Voting process

PAPS

On 10/4/2021 at 10:20 PM, Guest PAPS said:

Yes it does. The month is specifically stated.

I take it that you mean that the bylaws say that floor nominations may be made at the September meeting. But my question is, do they specify that they may be made only at that meeting. In other words, to they say something like, "Nominations from the floor may be made at the September meeting," or is it, "Nominations from the floor may be made only at the September meeting"? The wording makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 11:15 AM, PAPS said:

Sorry for the late reply...Our bylaws only allow for nominations from the floor at our September meetings.

Thank you,

Amy

That really doesn't answer @Weldon Merritt's question.  Can you quote the exact language that prohibits nominations at any other meeting?

Here you go -

SECTION 4. NOMINATIONS.
No person may be a candidate in a Club election who has not been nominated. During the month of July
the Board shall select a Nominating Committee consisting of three members and two alternates, not
more than one of whom may be a member of the Board. The secretary shall immediately notify the
committee persons and alternates of their selection. The Board shall name a Chair for the Committee
and it shall be her duty to call a committee meeting which shall be held on or before August 15th.

(a) The Committee shall nominate one candidate for each office and three candidates for the three
other positions on the Board, and after securing the consent of each person so nominated, shall
immediately report their nominations to the Secretary in writing.

(b) The members should be notified by the Secretary, in writing, of the committee’s slate at least two
weeks prior to the September meeting.

(c) Additional nominations may be made at the September meeting by any member in attendance
provided the person so nominated does not decline when his/her name is proposed, and provided
further that if the proposed candidate is not in attendance at this meeting, the proposer shall present to
the Secretary a written statement from the proposed candidate signifying his/her willingness

to be a candidate. No person may be a candidate for more than one position.

(d) Nominations cannot be made at the annual meeting or in any manner other than provided in this
Section.

Amy

Okay, those bylaws appear to prevent nominations except at that one meeting, which supersedes the rule in RONR.

Also, I'm not certain that saying no one can be a candidate unless nominated would prevent write-in votes (which are votes for a non-candidate) but I think an argument could be made that this was the intent.

On 10/25/2021 at 3:39 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Okay, those bylaws appear to prevent nominations except at that one meeting, which supersedes the rule in RONR.

Also, I'm not certain that saying no one can be a candidate unless nominated would prevent write-in votes (which are votes for a non-candidate) but I think an argument could be made that this was the intent.

I concur 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.