The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspending the rules to take up a matter

George Mervosh

I don't want to derail another thread, but in it, the original poster states:  "In my organization's bylaws, our resolutions must be taken up and passed by a committee before it can be taken up for business in our main senate meeting."

Let's say the Senate sees that a resolution that they might want to consider and pass was rejected at the committee level.  I know we don't have exact wording of the rule, but generally, do you think this type of motion is suspendable?

On 9/21/2021 at 8:37 AM, George Mervosh said:

I don't want to derail another thread, but in it, the original poster states:  "In my organization's bylaws, our resolutions must be taken up and passed by a committee before it can be taken up for business in our main senate meeting."

Let's say the Senate sees that a resolution that they might want to consider and pass was rejected at the committee level.  I know we don't have exact wording of the rule, but generally, do you think this type of motion is suspendable?

Yes, generally, I think this type of rule is suspendable.

The surprising aspect of this supposed bylaw provision is the requirement that resolutions must be taken up and passed by a committee before they can be taken up for business in the main senate meeting. This appears to come very close to a procedure by which proposals must be adopted by a board or committee and then presented to the membership for final approval (ratification). The question which often comes up is the question as to whether or not the membership can amend the resolution adopted by the board before voting whether or not to grant final approval. The answer depends, of course, on the exact language of this bylaw provision.

In any event, I seriously doubt that such a bylaw provision will be one that can be suspended unless it says so.  It seems to me to be more substantive than procedural.

On 9/21/2021 at 12:58 PM, J. J. said:

Assuming that the committee is a subordinate body, could the Senate could instruct the committee to reconsider and adopt the motion, within several days?    

The Senate would not be suspending the rule in that case. 

The answer depends, of course, on the exact language of this bylaw provision. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.