The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Censure a Politician

BlueCat57

I've been looking for guidelines or an outline of how to write a motion to censure a politician. So far, I haven't found any.

I've read the general guidelines for writing a motion, the "whereases" shouldn't be part of the motion, but every censure I've found online starts with several whereases.

Any guidance that y'all can offer will be appreciated.

On 9/27/2021 at 10:06 AM, BlueCat57 said:

I've been looking for guidelines or an outline of how to write a motion to censure a politician. So far, I haven't found any.

I've read the general guidelines for writing a motion, the "whereases" shouldn't be part of the motion, but every censure I've found online starts with several whereases.

Any guidance that y'all can offer will be appreciated.

While RONR does say that usually a motion should not include reasons for the motion's adoption within the motion itself, it also acknowledges that there are "special circumstances" where a preamble (the "whereas" clauses) may be desirable. Often this includes "cases where it provides little-known information without which the point or the merits of a resolution are likely to be poorly understood, where unusual importance is attached to making certain reasons for an action a matter of record, or the like." RONR (12th ed.) 10:16

A motion to censure, especially one which is targeted at a public figure, may well fall under these "special circumstances."

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.