The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Club president during pandemic closings

Guest Doug

In Canada, Royal Canadian Legion Branches have been closed for over 1 & 1/2 years due to pandemic rules. Therefore we have been deprived of 2 election cycles (once a year). Non of our by-laws cover this type of situation......I expect no one does. As a Branch President who wishes to step down, do I need to resign/quit, or can  I consider myself "term expired"? Without an election to re-instate me (required by our by-laws), can I just "step down".  Thereby letting the chips fall where they may in a matter of speaking.

Thank you

On 10/9/2021 at 4:49 PM, Guest Doug said:

In Canada, Royal Canadian Legion Branches have been closed for over 1 & 1/2 years due to pandemic rules. Therefore we have been deprived of 2 election cycles (once a year). Non of our by-laws cover this type of situation......I expect no one does. As a Branch President who wishes to step down, do I need to resign/quit, or can  I consider myself "term expired"? Without an election to re-instate me (required by our by-laws), can I just "step down".  Thereby letting the chips fall where they may in a matter of speaking.

What exactly do the bylaws say in regards to the term of office? Do they provide that officers serve for a fixed term (such as "two years") or do they provide that officers serve for "two years or until their successors are elected?" That makes a big difference. It will also be relevant what the bylaws say in regard to filling vacancies.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.