The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Rules

Guest Karen

It is a 2/3 vote to amend the bylaws.  We want to establish Standing Rules and also amend bylaws to move the dues over to Standing Rules.  What is a good statement of rationale for amending the bylaws to establish Standing Rules.  Is it something like "for handling administrative matters"?   

I don't' think that I am being understood, but I'm trying to be clear....the dues are already in the bylaws.  We want to 1) Adopt Standing Rules to add to our governing documents and need a rationale statement to do so; 2) Move to put the dues under Standing Rules and need a rationale statement to do so.  The rationale is what the members will be told to support the proposed amendment motions. 

On 11/1/2021 at 1:04 AM, Guest Karen said:

We would like to start a list of Standing Rules for our organization.  Is there a statement of rationale for moving the dues from the bylaws to stating the dues amount in the Standing Rules. 

On 11/2/2021 at 1:55 PM, Guest Karen said:

We want to establish Standing Rules and also amend bylaws to move the dues over to Standing Rules.  What is a good statement of rationale for amending the bylaws to establish Standing Rules. 

On 11/2/2021 at 5:29 PM, Guest Karen said:

I don't' think that I am being understood, but I'm trying to be clear....the dues are already in the bylaws.  We want to 1) Adopt Standing Rules to add to our governing documents and need a rationale statement to do so; 2) Move to put the dues under Standing Rules and need a rationale statement to do so.  The rationale is what the members will be told to support the proposed amendment motions. 

Based on your repeated mentions that this is something you (plural) WANT to do, I gotta figure you have a reason. Why isn’t that simply your rationale? It’s as if you’re asking forum members here, who have no idea why you want to do this, to identify a reason for why you’d want to do this.

1) Adopt Standing Rules to add to our governing documents and need a rationale statement to do so;

This I don't think is true. You don't need a rationale statement because your parliamentary authority, RONR, defines standing rules and recommends you compile them. In my view, organizations can prepare standing rule lists without making a motion to do so. 

Also note, you are not adopting standing rules. You have standing rules, whether you call them that or not. They are any motions you've made that are still in effect and not some other sort of rule. 

2) Move to put the dues under Standing Rules and need a rationale statement to do so. 

I don't have a rationale for that because I can't think of a reason to do so. 

Whether to set the amount of dues in the bylaws or have a bylaw provision that enables the dues to be set via a standing rule or by the executive board or by some other method is a matter of preference that is clearly within the judgment of the society. An organization can do it either way.

The advantage of setting the dues by means of a standing rule or by giving the executive board the authority to set the dues is that it is easier to change the dues Based on changing circumstances and needs. Many organizations set their dues this way.  It is actually quite common.

The advantage of setting  the dues in the bylaws is that it is harder to change the dues on a whim.  This method is also quite common and is the method used in the sample bylaws in RONR.

It is a matter of which method the organization prefers and no written rationale need be stated. You either set the amount of dues in the bylaws or have the bylaws say that the dues will be established from time to time by standing rule or by whatever other method the organization prefers.  No “statement of rationale“ is needed. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.