The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President's Ex-Officio Committee Membership

Weldon Merritt

Suppose the bylaws specify that the president is an ex-officio member of all committees (with the usual exception), and also that the president appoints all committees. Then another provision says that a certain committee is to have a specified number of members, or a motion is adopted to create a special committee with a specified number. Is the president's ex-officio membership  then included in the specified number, or is  it in addition to that number?

On 7/2/2022 at 8:33 PM, Weldon Merritt said:

Suppose the bylaws specify that the president is an ex-officio member of all committees (with the usual exception), and also that the president appoints all committees. Then another provision says that a certain committee is to have a specified number of members, or a motion is adopted to create a special committee with a specified number. Is the president's ex-officio membership  then included in the specified number, or is  it in addition to that number?

The latter (generally speaking).

For example, looking at the sample bylaws in 56:65, I think that the Finance Committee and the Program Committee will each consist of five members, not counting the President.

On 7/2/2022 at 7:18 PM, Dan Honemann said:

The latter (generally speaking).

For example, looking at the sample bylaws in 56:65, I think that the Finance Committee and the Program Committee will each consist of five members, not counting the President.

Thanks, Dan. That's generally been my understanding, but I haven't found anything in RONR directly saying so.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.