The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Term Limits

Bonnie E.

In my organization's annual assembly, there will be legislation presented reading "No current or future Secretary may serve more than ten (10) consecutive years."

The current Secretary has served 15 consecutive years. I read that to mean that she cannot run for Secretary this year if this legislation is approved. Am I correct there?

Also, if it just said, "No Secretary may serve more than ten (10) consecutive years," wouldn't that mean the same thing? I believe it would apply to her and she could not run for the position this year. If someone else was elected this year, though, she could run again next year and serve up to 10 consecutive years.  Am I right here, too?

On 1/19/2023 at 1:39 PM, Bonnie E. said:

The current Secretary has served 15 consecutive years. I read that to mean that she cannot run for Secretary this year if this legislation is approved. Am I correct there?

Yes - and, in fact, it would mean she would immediately cease being Secretary, unless a proviso is adopted providing otherwise.

Also, if it just said, "No Secretary may serve more than ten (10) consecutive years," wouldn't that mean the same thing?

Yes.

I believe it would apply to her and she could not run for the position this year. If someone else was elected this year, though, she could run again next year and serve up to 10 consecutive years.  Am I right here, too?

Yes.

On 1/19/2023 at 4:39 PM, Bonnie E. said:

In my organization's annual assembly, there will be legislation presented reading "No current or future Secretary may serve more than ten (10) consecutive years."

Also, if it just said, "No Secretary may serve more than ten (10) consecutive years," wouldn't that mean the same thing? I believe it would apply to her and she could not run for the position this year. If someone else was elected this year, though, she could run again next year and serve up to 10 consecutive years.  Am I right here, too?

Yes.  But pay close attention to @Josh Martin's answer.  If you adopt this provision during your annual meeting, and it passes, the Secretary is instantly removed from office, which you may not want to happen in the middle of a meeting.  Are your elections held during that same meeting, and if so, are they before or after the consideration of that bylaws amendment?

On 1/19/2023 at 5:18 PM, Caryn Ann Harlos said:

By the way the "current or future" language sounds like someone was trying to sound like an attorney or parliamentarian but are not.  That is completely superfluous.

Agreed.  The only time addintional qualification would be needed is if this provision were not intended to affect the current occupant of the office.

On 1/19/2023 at 3:38 PM, Bonnie E. said:

Can you suggest a RONR reference for this? I would like to have some reference for the proponents of this legislation and have not been able to locate it.

Reference on what?  Effective time of a bylaws change absent a proviso?  57:15-17

Not adding superfluous words to bylaws?  56:11

Edited by Caryn Ann Harlos

On 1/19/2023 at 5:24 PM, Atul Kapur said:

Those words make it clear to any who are not intimately familiar with parliamentary procedure that it applies to the incumbent. This possibly includes the proposers.

But for that to be the case, it is then a provision of a transitional nature since any future secretary will have been elected under those terms, and items of a transitional nature should not be included in the bylaws.

Edited by Caryn Ann Harlos

Let me be explicit: yes, I know that. The point of my response was to try to explain why someone would include those words in the motion: because they wanted to avoid questions about that point from unsophisticated members or they themselves are unsophisticated and believed it was necessary to say that.

The fact that the words are superfluous was already mentioned so didn't I want to repeat the point. 

Edited by Atul Kapur

Yes, unless they adopt a proviso saying otherwise, as @Josh Martin stated.

There will be a gap between the bylaw amendment being adopted & the secretary being out of the office due to ineligibility (which both will occur at the same time) and the election of a new secretary. Given what we are told, it will presumably be a short gap.

On 1/19/2023 at 7:15 PM, Drake Savory said:

Am I correct that should this amendment passes, the assembly needs to immediately elect a Secretary pro-tem until the new Secretary takes office?

In the event this passes without a proviso, I would think the logical next step would be for the chair to ask if there is any objection to the now former Secretary serving as Secretary Pro Tempore for the remainder of the meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.