The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Setting time limits for meetings.

Guest Cindy Stansell

On 1/25/2023 at 1:23 PM, Guest Cindy Stansell said:

May the president alone on his initiative limit a board meeting to an hour?

If there is going to be a predetermined time to adjourn, that time should be set by the assembly, not by the president or the presiding officer. No one person has the authority to do that.

In the organization I'm involved with, as you know, this is routinely part of the agenda set by the chair (unless there is a special rule for a meeting like the monthly meetings which by rule are two hours) and the assembly can change when agenda is being amended prior to adoption.

On 1/26/2023 at 12:40 AM, Caryn Ann Harlos said:

In the organization I'm involved with, as you know, this is routinely part of the agenda set by the chair (unless there is a special rule for a meeting like the monthly meetings which by rule are two hours) and the assembly can change when agenda is being amended prior to adoption.

But this is of no significance unless this organization to which you refer is the same one with which Cindy Stansell is concerned.  

On 1/26/2023 at 7:28 AM, Guest Cindy Stansell said:

The time limit was not in the published agenda. Instead, the president announced that “I have the power under Roberts Rules of Order, to unilaterally set the time limit for this meeting.”

That statement is absolutely false. Ask her for a citation. She won’t be able to give you one. 

On 1/26/2023 at 7:28 AM, Guest Cindy Stansell said:

The time limit was not in the published agenda. Instead, the president announced that “I have the power under Roberts Rules of Order, to unilaterally set the time limit for this meeting.” Agenda was accepted but then not followed.

Thank you for these additional facts. There is certainly nothing in RONR which suggests that the President has the power "to unilaterally set the time limit for this meeting."

I would suggest your organization should get a new President.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.