The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chair vs Co-Chair

Tomm

On 2/14/2023 at 9:19 AM, Tomm said:

I realize that RONR discourages the use of Co-Chair but I'm wondering how one should view the positions of Chair and Co-Chair?

Should the Chair really be viewed as a superior position over the Co-Chair or should he/she be viewed simply as a co-equal to the co-chair, both having equal powers?

You will not find an answer to this question in RONR.

On 2/14/2023 at 8:55 AM, Weldon Merritt said:

So if your organization insists on having them despite the advice in RONR, your rules should also spell out the relationship. 

And if your rules don't spell out the relationship, your membership will have to figure it out for itself.

On 2/14/2023 at 9:19 AM, Tomm said:

I realize that RONR discourages the use of Co-Chair but I'm wondering how one should view the positions of Chair and Co-Chair?

Should the Chair really be viewed as a superior position over the Co-Chair or should he/she be viewed simply as a co-equal to the co-chair, both having equal powers?

It not only discourages the practice, it makes no provisions for co-officers at all, so you do not have any, unless your bylaws explicitly permit them.

As to how they should be viewed, if your bylaws are silent, they should be viewed as non-existent.  If your bylaws contain provisions allowing them, then they should be viewed according to the customized rules in your bylaws.  If you in fact have a Chair and a Co-chair, rather that two true Co-chairs, you should amend your bylaws to change the title of Co-chair to Vice-Chair, and your problem will be resolved.

On 2/14/2023 at 8:19 AM, Tomm said:

"Discourages" is perhaps putting it mildly.

On 2/14/2023 at 8:19 AM, Tomm said:

This will vary from organization to organization and will depend upon the organization's rules and customs.

I have seen organizations where it is indeed intended that the positions be "co-equal." I have also seen organizations where the Co-Chair (or one of the Co-Chairs) is effectively a Vice Chair with a different title.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.