The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Multiple charges

Guest TAD

On 2/14/2023 at 9:49 AM, Guest TAD said:

What is the proper procedure if the vice president has two pending charges against them? 

What procedure was used to get you to the point of having pending charges at all?  If it was done according to RONR (Ch. XX.), then continue to follow those procedures.

If you have customized discipline procedures in your bylaws, RONR would have no answer to your question.

On 2/14/2023 at 1:20 PM, Guest TAD said:

A member filed charges on him two weeks ago following bylaw procedures another member has filed more charges this week for a different reason also following bylaw procedure. My question is would more than one charge be an automatic dismissal? 

The answer to this question relies upon the interpretation of your organization's customized rules regarding disciplinary procedures. It will be up to your organization to interpret its own rules on this matter. Since I have not seen the rules in question, I do not have the slightest idea what the proper interpretation should be.

On 2/14/2023 at 2:20 PM, Guest TAD said:

A member filed charges on him two weeks ago following bylaw procedures another member has filed more charges this week for a different reason also following bylaw procedure. My question is would more than one charge be an automatic dismissal? 

I don't see why it would dismiss anything, but these rules are in your bylaws, so I can't guess what they might do, automatically or otherwise.

It's got to be either one or the other. You tell us that the charges were filed "following bylaw procedures" - so there must be some procedures in there - but then say "Nothing stated in bylaws."

But it appears evident that your bylaws have something specific about charges and discipline, so you will need to follow them and RONR will be of limited assistance where your bylaws have gaps because discipline in RONR is based in a different framework.

If you mean that the bylaws say nothing about automatic dismissal if multiple charges laid, then RONR does not say anything close to that, either, so there is then nothing anywhe applicable that would result in automatic dismissal.

Edited by Atul Kapur

On 2/15/2023 at 1:18 PM, Atul Kapur said:

It's got to be either one or the other. You tell us that the charges were filed "following bylaw procedures" - so there must be some procedures in there - but then say "Nothing stated in bylaws."

But it appears evident that your bylaws have something specific about charges and discipline, so you will need to follow them and RONR will be of limited assistance where your bylaws have gaps because discipline in RONR is based in a different framework.

If you mean that the bylaws say nothing about automatic dismissal if multiple charges laid, then RONR does not say anything close to that, either, so there is then nothing anywhe applicable that would result in automatic dismissal.

Sorry I meant there is nothing in bylaws on dismissal for multiple charges. 

Then the advice in the third paragraph of my response applies

On 2/15/2023 at 1:18 PM, Atul Kapur said:

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.