The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting options

Guest Gloria Grice

On 2/17/2023 at 9:13 PM, Guest Gloria Grice said:

Does Robert's Rules specify that the only options for a vote are "Aye" and "Nay" or can other options be included, such as "Aye", "Nay", "Nay-approve intent but need minor word smithing"?

Depending on the voting method :

for voice calls it is only "Aye"  and "Nay" (for abstention just say nothing)

for roll call voting there are also the options:

- " present " (for abstention) and

- "pass" (for voting later)

On 2/17/2023 at 4:13 PM, Guest Gloria Grice said:

Does Robert's Rules specify that the only options for a vote are "Aye" and "Nay" or can other options be included, such as "Aye", "Nay", "Nay-approve intent but need minor word smithing"?

No.  The time to seek any needed minor wordsmithing is during debate, via the motion to Amend.    Then when the proposed change is either agreed to or rejected you can better decide whether to vote Aye or No on the motion itself.

On 2/18/2023 at 7:05 AM, Dan Honemann said:

Forget that "Nay" business.  The word to use is "no".

Thank you!  Perhaps my hearing isn't perfect, but I find it too hard during roll call votes to distinguish between "Yea" and "Nay".   Besides, it sounds like a horse.  Personally, I prefer "Yes" and "No" for roll call votes.  4:37 of RONR (12th ed.) calls for "aye" and "no" when taking voice votes.

On 2/21/2023 at 4:22 PM, Richard Brown said:

Thank you!  Perhaps my hearing isn't perfect, but I find it too hard during roll call votes to distinguish between "Yea" and "Nay".   Besides, it sounds like a horse.  Personally, I prefer "Yes" and "No" for roll call votes.  4:37 of RONR (12th ed.) calls for "aye" and "no" when taking voice votes.

That's why roll-call votes are known as "the Yeas and Nays", because neither of those is spoken. ☺️

There are seven instances of "nay" still remaining in 12th edition, including the index entries.  For example in 45:47 regarding the procedure for a roll call vote, it has the following example of how to do it:

"CHAIR: As many as are in favor of the adoption of the resolution will, as their names are called, answer aye [or “yes,” or “yea”]; those opposed will answer no [or “nay”]. The Secretary [or “the Clerk”] will call the roll."

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.