The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of Chairman

Guest Loren

On 2/19/2023 at 11:02 AM, Guest Loren said:

Half of our board members are elected (or re-elected) each year. The new board then elects its chairman for the coming year at its first meeting. Who should serve as chairman of that first meeting until the new chairman is elected?

If you have a permanent clerk or secretary, they should call the meeting to order and preside over the election of a new chairman, who then takes over immediately upon election.  If not, any member may do the job.

On 2/19/2023 at 10:02 AM, Guest Loren said:

Half of our board members are elected (or re-elected) each year. The new board then elects its chairman for the coming year at its first meeting. Who should serve as chairman of that first meeting until the new chairman is elected?

I don't fully agree with the previous responses.  I think the answer depends on exactly what the bylaws say about terms of office and particularly the term of office of the chairman of the board.  If the bylaws say that the chairman serves until his successor is elected, then I believe that the outgoing chairman is still the chairman and should preside at least until his successor is elected.  The answer also depends at least in part as to whether the bylaws require the chairman to actually be a member of the board and whether his term as a board member expired prior to the first meeting of the "new" board.

There is probably nothing wrong with electing a chair pro tem to preside at the first meeting until a new chair is elected, but, depending on the exact language in the bylaws, I believe the outgoing chairman might have the right to preside if he insists on it.  It depends on exactly what the bylaws say.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.