The Official RONR Q & A Forums

International rules of order

Guest carolinewattsmorris@gmail.

On 2/23/2023 at 10:08 AM, Guest carolinewattsmorris@gmail. said:

I would like to review international rules

I don't quite know what you mean by "international rules." Could you clarify?

At this point, I would simply say that RONR does not prescribe any particular rules on the basis that the society is international in nature.

On 2/23/2023 at 10:08 AM, Guest carolinewattsmorris@gmail. said:

also the ones applicable to zoom meetings and you tube presentations.

A society may only hold meetings by electronic means if such meetings are authorized in the society's bylaws or applicable law, and the society will then need to adopt appropriate rules to support such meetings. There is no "one size fits all" set of rules for such meetings. RONR does, however, have some guidance for societies in developing such rules and has sample sets of rules to use as a starting point, to be adapted to fit the needs of a particular assembly. See RONR (12th ed.) 9:36 and Appendix: Sample Rules for Electronic Meetings. When you review the appendix, I would note that the sample rules in "Scenario A: Use of Full-Featured Internet Meeting Services" will be most applicable to Zoom meetings.

I am not entirely certain what you mean by rules for "YouTube presentations." To the extent this question is asking the rules for permitting a presentation, it would seem to me that this would be either a main motion or a Request for Any Other Privilege, depending on the particular situation. To the extent this question is asking the rules for the presentation itself, RONR has no rules on such matters, as it is beyond the scope of parliamentary procedure. (The rules of decorum, of course, would still be applicable if the presentation occurs during a meeting.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.