The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions not allowed

Andrew Larson

On 2/23/2023 at 5:57 PM, Andrew Larson said:

Can the chair refuse a motion that is discriminatory or exclusionary?

I'm not certain. I think we would need additional facts regarding in what manner the motion is "discriminatory or exclusionary." It is conceivable such a motion could violate the rules of decorum. It is also conceivable that it may not.

On 2/23/2023 at 6:57 PM, Andrew Larson said:

Can the chair r.efuse a motion that is discriminatory or exclusionary?

It may depend on the bylaws, and what they say about the objectives of the society.  It could be ruled out of order if it conflicted with them, perhaps.

But even if the chair cannot refuse the motion, the membership can adopt an Objection to the Consideration of a Question, which is covered in RONR 12th ed. §26.

26:1 The purpose of an Objection to the Consideration of a Question is to enable the assembly to avoid a particular original main motion altogether when it believes it would be strongly undesirable for the motion even to come before the assembly

On 2/23/2023 at 11:13 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

It may depend on the bylaws, and what they say about the objectives of the society.  It could be ruled out of order if it conflicted with them, perhaps.

But even if the chair cannot refuse the motion, the membership can adopt an Objection to the Consideration of a Question, which is covered in RONR 12th ed. §26.

There are a number of special rules regarding this motion, and you would do well to read that section for details.

On 2/23/2023 at 10:15 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

There are a number of special rules regarding this motion, and you would do well to read that section for details.

i agree.  An important rule regarding this motion is that it can be applied only to original main motions, not to subsidiary motions or incidental motions or even incidental main motions.  The motion also must be made immediately, before any debate takes place or any subsidiary motion is stated by the chair (other than a motion to lay on the table).  It is also subject to other special rules.  See §26 of RONR (12th ed.) for more details regarding this motion.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added "subsidiary motions" to motions to which it cannot be applied

On 2/23/2023 at 7:15 PM, Josh Martin said:

It is conceivable such a motion could violate the rules of decorum.

Depending on the OP's definition of "discriminatory" and "exclusionary", the motion may also violate basic Parliamentary Law.  For example, "I move that no member of (insert political party here) be allowed to vote on the main motion."

On 2/24/2023 at 8:33 PM, Drake Savory said:

Depending on the OP's definition of "discriminatory" and "exclusionary", the motion may also violate basic Parliamentary Law.  For example, "I move that no member of (insert political party here) be allowed to vote on the main motion."

I didn't think of this possibility, but yes, it is conceivable that the motion could violate the basic rights of members and be out of order for that reason.

In any event, we lack sufficient facts at this time to conclude whether the motion is out of order.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.