The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes are very inaccurate

Guest Tyler

I suspect that the secretary is putting far more information in the minutes than should be in them. If the minutes stick ti a record of what is done, nit what is said, as RONR specifies, it is highly unlikely that any error's will be "too many to be corrected on the spot." The "proper process" for currenting minutes is that a member who thinks there is an error offers a correction. Most correction can be handled by unanimous consent, but if there is disagreement, a majority vote decides.

If there are indeed so many errors that correcting them in the proper manner is impracti8cal, their consideration can be postponed to the next meeting. It is alsos possible to refer them to a committee, either to correct and approve them, or to report back to the next meeting with a corrected copy for approval by the assembly.

On 2/28/2023 at 9:36 AM, Guest Tyler said:

In reviewing the minutes for an upcoming meeting, I found numerous errors - too many to be corrected on the spot at the start of the meeting. I am hesitant to accept verbal reassurance they will be redone. What is the proper process for this?

Well, I'd be hesitant too.   The minutes do not stand approved unless and until members have had the opportunity to offer corrections.  As long as all the corrections have not be dealt with (either accepted or rejected) the minutes are not final. 

If they are such a mess that they need to be completely "redone", then there is no need to accept verbal reassurance, since until that happens they will remain unapproved, and after they are redone, they will have to be read/printed and again come before the assembly for any remaining corrections.

It might be useful for you to take a copy of the draft minutes and do your own markup (using MS-Word's track changes feature, or something equivalent) of what you think needs to be changed.  Provide that to the secretary, and perhaps many/all of your requests will be made by the secretary for the next draft version.  Then at the next meeting you only need to offer corrections for the items about which there is disagreement.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.