The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Refer to Committee by Chair

Guest Walter

Can the chair in a meeting arbitrarily refer any motion to committee?  We have a controversial motion coming up and some who are against the motion are trying to delay it by saying it needs more discussion so should go to committee, and they also say that the chair can arbitrarily decide to send it to committee. I thought that a motion put on the floor must be voted on, and if a members wants it referred to committee, or tabled etc would have to make a separate motion that would require a seconder and then a vote on that motion by the entire group. Otherwise the chair would effectively have the power to delay any motion he or she dislikes.

On 3/1/2023 at 10:42 AM, Guest Walter said:

Can the chair in a meeting arbitrarily refer any motion to committee? 

No. The chair is a servant of the body, not its master.

On 3/1/2023 at 10:42 AM, Guest Walter said:

I thought that a motion put on the floor must be voted on, and if a members wants it referred to committee, or tabled etc would have to make a separate motion that would require a seconder and then a vote on that motion by the entire group.

This is a bit ambiguous, but I think you've got it right. If they want to refer it, they should move to refer.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:42 AM, Guest Walter said:

Can the chair in a meeting arbitrarily refer any motion to committee?  We have a controversial motion coming up and some who are against the motion are trying to delay it by saying it needs more discussion so should go to committee, and they also say that the chair can arbitrarily decide to send it to committee. I thought that a motion put on the floor must be voted on, and if a members wants it referred to committee, or tabled etc would have to make a separate motion that would require a seconder and then a vote on that motion by the entire group. Otherwise the chair would effectively have the power to delay any motion he or she dislikes.

You're right.  The chair has no such power.  

I'd point out that the motion to Lay on the Table is rarely in order in ordinary societies.  You probably mean Postpone to a Certain Time.

Not unless your organization has a special rule giving the chair this special power, as RONR conveys no such power to the chair.  A motion to refer to a committee needs a majority vote for adoption.  One "vote" from the chair does not suffice...unless it's a very odd situation in which he is the only one choosing to vote and all the others abstain.

Edited by Alicia Percell, PRP
fixed a missing "no"

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.