The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting minutes

Guest Leslie

I’m not sure if I am phrasing my question correctly. If there was a lot of discussion about an agenda item, but no motion was made; thus no voting took place, how would I phrase that in the meeting minutes? Would I say something like “no action was taken”?  
Thank you.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:58 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

If no motion was made, how could there be discussion going on? 

We all (or at least the regulars here) know that (with rare exception) there should be no discussion without a motion or at least a committee or officer report. But we also know that it happens, especially with less sophisticated groups. So the OP's question is understandable.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:58 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

It doesn't sound like there's anything to enter in the minutes if nothing was done.  Discussion is not included in the minutes, so what's left?  

I agree with that part of your response. 

On 3/3/2023 at 2:56 PM, Guest Leslie said:

If there was a lot of discussion about an agenda item, but no motion was made; thus no voting took place, how would I phrase that in the meeting minutes?

Technically, this shouldn't be happening in the first place (except in committees or small boards). But as to your question about what to put in the minutes, you would put absolutely nothing in the minutes, at least so far as RONR is concerned.

"In an ordinary society, the minutes should contain mainly a record of what was done at the meeting, not what was said by the members." RONR (12th ed.) 48:2, emphasis in original

Since nothing was done regarding this matter, there is nothing to record.

On 3/3/2023 at 6:46 PM, Weldon Merritt said:

We all (or at least the regulars here) know that (with rare exception) there should be no discussion without a motion or at least a committee or officer report. But we also know that it happens, especially with less sophisticated groups. So the OP's question is understandable.

Yes, I think it's quite understandable that some groups venture into discussion without a motion, especially under small board rules and some other less rigorous procedures that evolve in some groups.  But even when it occurs, it's still discussion and does not belong in the minutes.  I think we're on the same page.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.