The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motions out of order

Guest Harley

I am new to Roberts rules so forgive my ignorance. Also this is a very specific question. Can you make a motion between the adjournment of one meeting and the call to order of the next meeting? If you can, does a quorum need to be present for the motion to be valid?

On 3/9/2023 at 4:20 PM, Guest Harley said:

I am new to Roberts rules so forgive my ignorance. Also this is a very specific question. Can you make a motion between the adjournment of one meeting and the call to order of the next meeting? If you can, does a quorum need to be present for the motion to be valid?

It may be possible to call a special meeting for the purpose of considering the new motion.

On 3/9/2023 at 1:20 PM, Guest Harley said:

You should check your bylaws to see if they have a provision for calling special meetings.

A quorum must be present for any meeting to conduct business.

On 3/9/2023 at 4:20 PM, Guest Harley said:

Motions can be made only during a meeting, not between meetings.  But merely having a quorum present does not constitute a meeting.  A meeting must either be a Regular (scheduled) meeting, or a Special (called) meeting.  So if you need to consider a motion before the next regular meeting, you'll need a special meeting.

Special meetings can only be called if there are provisions in the bylaws to do so, which should say by whom they may be called, and how many days previous notice are required.  The call of the meeting must also describe the specific business which will be considered at the meeting. If these requirements are complied with, the meeting is said to be "properly called" and only then is it a valid Special meeting.  And yes, a quorum does need to be present.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.