The Official RONR Q & A Forums

readers committee

ttraider88

Our membership has always been in the practice of using a Reader's Committee to review the minutes and make corrections/edits.  The committee is appointed by the President, each committee member reviews the minutes on his/her own and submits corrections to the secretary.  The corrected minutes then go to the executive board for approval.  Per our by laws, "approval of minutes for the previous meeting will be made at the following Executive Board meeting."  The President announces at the next general meeting whether or not the minutes were approved by the committee.  The approved minutes are posted electronically for members to access.  Everything I'm reading in Section 48 tells me this is incorrect procedure.  The Readers Committee isn't mentioned anywhere in our bylaws. It's just something that's always been done.  There is no instruction as to what happens if the all 3 committee members don't agree on the minutes as proposed.  Does this process need to be changed to be in line with Section 48 Minutes and Reports of Officers?  If so, should this be implemented at the next membership meeting?

48:12 does say that "the assembly should authorize the executive board or a special committee to approve the minutes" in certain situations; this is a common practice among organizations and is commonly named the Minutes Approval Committee.

So I do not think that you need to change your practice - just codify it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.