The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adding information to Draft Minutes after the meeting

Ann McKay

Hello - I'm a brand new Recording Secretary for a small non-profit society, and my experience in this area is virtually nil.  I have a question about adding information to draft minutes of a meeting.  At the last Board meeting, one of the agenda items was not addressed, as the Board member with the information needed was unable to attend the meeting.   A few days later, this Board member sent out a memo to other Board members containing the information he had planned to present.  I've been asked to incorporate this memo into the draft Minutes, saying something along the lines, "Board Member so-and-so was unable to attend the meeting, but sent a memo to other Board Members on such-and-such a date which contains the information he was unable to present."  I've been told on one hand that this is all right, and other advice I've received said no, since the Board Member wasn't at the meeting and didn't actually present the information (which likely would have raised some questions from other Board members for further information.) Should this item be carried forward to the next Board meeting as an agenda item and addressed then?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

On 3/15/2023 at 4:46 PM, Ann McKay said:

Hello - I'm a brand new Recording Secretary for a small non-profit society, and my experience in this area is virtually nil.  I have a question about adding information to draft minutes of a meeting.  At the last Board meeting, one of the agenda items was not addressed, as the Board member with the information needed was unable to attend the meeting.   A few days later, this Board member sent out a memo to other Board members containing the information he had planned to present.  I've been asked to incorporate this memo into the draft Minutes, saying something along the lines, "Board Member so-and-so was unable to attend the meeting, but sent a memo to other Board Members on such-and-such a date which contains the information he was unable to present."  I've been told on one hand that this is all right, and other advice I've received said no, since the Board Member wasn't at the meeting and didn't actually present the information (which likely would have raised some questions from other Board members for further information.) Should this item be carried forward to the next Board meeting as an agenda item and addressed then?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

It's fine for someone to send a memo to other members, but it definitely does not belong in the minutes.  If it was not reached in the last meeting it should come up under Unfinished Business and General Orders at the next meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.