The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board refuses to provide info to members unable to attend annual meeting

Marsha Thole

I just learned that the questions submitted in the Q&A portion of the annual meeting will only be answered and sent to the person asking the question, as that is what the members who remained wanted. In the past, questions and answers were published in the HOA newsletter for the benefit of those unable to attend. The comment from the vice president (presider at that meeting) was: If you weren't there, too bad, and you won't get that information. He told me the Q&A session was part of the meeting. I couldn't believe the attitude. This is horrible leadership and lack of dissemination of information to all members.

Is there anything that I, as a member, can cite for restricting info at a meeting that needs to go to all members?

On 3/16/2023 at 2:24 AM, Marsha Thole said:

I just learned that the questions submitted in the Q&A portion of the annual meeting will only be answered and sent to the person asking the question, as that is what the members who remained wanted. In the past, questions and answers were published in the HOA newsletter for the benefit of those unable to attend. The comment from the vice president (presider at that meeting) was: If you weren't there, too bad, and you won't get that information. He told me the Q&A session was part of the meeting. I couldn't believe the attitude. This is horrible leadership and lack of dissemination of information to all members.

Is there anything that I, as a member, can cite for restricting info at a meeting that needs to go to all members?

I don't think there is a lot about this in RONR.

Maybe best point to start is the website of the homeowners protection bureau hopb

https://www.hopb.co/hoa-document-request

And to look in relevant federal or state law.

On the other side the AGM could just make a motion yo make a standing rule that all questions asked will be answered in the HOA newsletter.

Such a motion just needs a majority vote and is binding to the board.

(Because it is no rule of order but an standing rule it doesn't even need notification, but maybe that is a good idea anyway)

On 3/15/2023 at 9:24 PM, Marsha Thole said:

s there anything that I, as a member, can cite for restricting info at a meeting that needs to go to all members?

You can request that the board adopt a policy of disseminating the Q&A answers to the entire membership.  The membership itself can adopt a resolution requesting it and can quite likely adopt a motion requiring it.  As Mr. Elsman stated, nothing in RONR requires this.  It is up to the board and/or members of your HOA.

On 3/15/2023 at 9:24 PM, Marsha Thole said:

No. Nothing in RONR suggests this information "needs to go to all members."

The organization is free to adopt its own rules on this matter if it wishes. It may also be there is already something on this matter in the organization's rules or applicable law.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.